Breville coffee makers: 2 models compared
Disclaimer: we may receive commissions from purchases made via our links at no cost to you
Is it Expensive? Yes. Is it big and bulky? Sure. Does it make a variety of different coffee styles and give you absolute control over the brewing process? Absolutely. The Breville Precision Brewer (with pour over attachment) is one of the most comprehensive coffee makers we've ever reviewed. It's more than just a coffee maker; it's a science lab for coffee enthusiasts to tinker with and perfect their brews. It's beautifully made out of high-quality materials that look fantastic and offer longevity that negates the hefty price tag.
1. Breville Precision Brewer Pid – With Pour Over (BDC455BSS)
- Brushed stainless steel finished machine
- Includes Pour Over Adapter; made from silicone shower head and plastic case
- Thermo-coil heating and pump system with PID digital temperature control
- High-Quality Appearance
- Drip & Pour Over Capabilities
- Temperature Precision
- Adjustable Flow Rate
- Six Different Settings
- Thermocoil Heating System
- Very Expensive
- Fairly Noisy
- Massive Amount of Settings Can Be Daunting
- Genre: Drip / Pour Over
- Dimensions: 18.74 x 15.55 x 9.17 inches
- Appliance Weight: 13.35lbs
- Capacity: 12-Cup (60oz)
- Material: Stainless Steel, Plastic
- Available Colors: Stainless-Steel
- Dishwasher Safe: No
Breville is well known for producing high-end kitchen appliances with high-end price points. That heritage shines brightly in the overall design and appearance of the Breville Precision Brewer.
Many budget coffee makers have a “stainless-steel finish”, which in reality is plastic that’s been made to look like stainless-steel, whereas Breville used a quality brushed metal to ensure a classy look and longevity of the appliance.
Both the brew basket and the carafe have a stainless-steel look, and everything fits perfectly into place, as it has been designed with precision. Rather apt when you consider what they named this appliance.
The control panel comprises a crisp LCD, a tiny ‘Auto Start’ button, an ‘on and cancel’ button, and the selection dial. All of which have a real quality feel when using them.
When your coffee tastes as good as it does from the Precision Brewer, you’ll want to make a lot of it, and with a 60oz capacity, you’ll be able to make a decent amount in just one brewing cycle.
The reservoir itself is fixed, so you’ll have to use a jug to fill the tank; however, the lid is completely removable, so you have a big target to aim for. The design of the water tank makes it very simple to fill.
You will need to use the precise amount of water required for your drink/batch, as this coffee maker will use all the water you put inside the reservoir. Fortunately, Breville printed clear and concise markings on the front (in both cups and ounces) to make filling this coffee maker as easy as possible.
- Pour Over Attachment: Transform your drip coffee maker into a ‘pour over’ appliance with this attachment, thus giving you even more versatility with your coffee maker.
- Steep & Release: Using the steep and release feature, this coffee maker will keep water in contact with the coffee grounds when you’re brewing smaller amounts without the carafe being in place for a more robust brew.
- PID Control: Proportional-Integral-Derivative. Or to the layperson, a device that maintains a more consistent water temperature than does a regular thermostat, resulting in a better cup of coffee.
- ‘My Brew’: A fully customizable preset allows you to choose water temperature, bloom time, flow rate, and brew time. So you can experiment until you come up with the perfect setting for you.
- Thermal Carafe: Your coffee will stay hotter for more prolonged periods thanks to the thermal carafe that comes with the Breville Precision Brewer.
- Dual Filters: The Breville Precision Brewer comes with both flat bottomed and cone filter baskets, so you can fine-tune your coffee flavors and experiment with different grounds.
- Gold Cup Standard: The ‘Gold Cup’ setting will automatically give you the precise settings recommended by the SCA (Specialty Coffee Association) to deliver the most delicious coffee possible.
- Adjustable Flow Rate: Choose from three different flow rates to optimize taste and intensity to make the most of your favorite coffee grounds.
- Iced & Cold Brew Coffee: Utilize your coffee maker in the summer with both cold brew and iced coffee options that allow you to make a colder beverage without losing any flavor.
Ease of Use, Build Quality & Cleaning
The adage “you get what you pay for” isn’t always correct. Occasionally a product is overpriced and overhyped, which can lead to disappointment, especially if you’ve spent a ton of your hard-earned cash. Fortunately, the Breville Precision Brewer lives up to its price point.
Yes, it’s ludicrously expensive for a coffee maker, but if tasty Joe is a huge part of your day, then it’s worth investing in something you love.
It has a massive amount of attachments and settings that helps you perfect your coffee with increasing precision.
However, because the Breville Precision Brewer is exceptionally versatile and can produce many different coffee varieties, it will take some practice to understand the control panel and get to grips with what it can achieve.
The build quality is exceptional. Every component has been designed, developed, and produced to the highest standard. It has a weight to it that gives you confidence that your coffee maker will last a long time.
The carafe, brew basket, filters, and reservoir all fit together with absolute precision and give satisfying and confirming ‘clunks’ and ‘clicks’ that let you know they’re exactly where they’re supposed to be.
Unfortunately, this appliance doesn’t have any dishwasher safe parts; it needs to be cleaned by hand with a non-abrasive sponge and warm soapy water. Though the good news is, it’s still relatively easy to clean.
Should you buy the Breville Precision Brewer Pid – With Pour Over?
The Breville Precision Brewer is a very pricey piece of kit. It’s for coffee lovers who can tell the difference between expensive and budget coffee. If you can get by with any old coffee, you probably don’t need to spend such a massive amount on one device.
However, if coffee is a passion, and you love experimenting with different grounds, flavors, temperatures, and brew times, this device is worth considering. The Precision coffee maker is aptly named as it gives you the ability to control every nuance of your coffee-making process like never before.
It’s worth noting that Breville offers the same model drip coffee maker without the pour over attachment at a reduced cost.
2. Breville Grind Control
- The Breville Grind Control creates third wave specialty coffee by capturing freshness and essential oils from beans by grinding before you brew with Steep and Release technology; Choose to brew directly into a carafe, tall cup or travel mug for on the go
- PROGRAMMABLE AUTO START: Set the time you'd like your coffee and the Grind Control will start the brewing process automatically; Delivers brew water at the right temperature from the start to the finish of the brewing process
- INTEGRATED AND ADJUSTABLE GRINDER: Adjust the grinder output to suit any bean from anywhere and customize the grind size to suit your taste
- Built-In Adjustable Coffee Grinder
- 8 Different Grind Strengths
- ‘Steep & Release’ Brewing
- Thermal Carafe
- Removable Drip Tray
- Auto Start
- High Maintenance
- It’s Big & Heavy
- Genre: Coffee Maker with Grinder
- Dimensions: 12.5 x 8.5 x 16.3 inches
- Appliance Weight: 16lbs
- Capacity: 60oz
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Available Colors: Silver
- Dishwasher Safe: No
Breville has perfected the art of crafting beautiful yet functional small kitchen appliances. More often than not, their products are expensive, but their overall aesthetic reflects their high-end price points.
Much like the Precision Brewer, the Breville Grind Control is composed almost entirely of brushed stainless steel, which wouldn’t look out of place in any contemporary coffee shop. An embossed Breville logo just adds to the overall appearance.
It’s a beastly machine; it’s slightly smaller than the Precision Brewer but heavier thanks to the stainless-steel built-in grinder.
The switches, dials, and buttons (which all have a soothing glow when the appliance is switched on) are manufactured from high-quality materials. The LCD has the same sharp, pale blue background that has become synonymous with many Breville products.
With the same 60oz capacity as the Precision Brewer, the Breville Grind Control is equally capable of brewing six or seven good-sized cups of coffee.
The water reservoir is discreetly hidden on top of the appliance, which features an ingenious press and release lid that flips up to reveal a large opening for you to pour water into. There is no water level window, with Breville instead opting for a readout on the LCD that will inform you how much water is in the tank.
The hopper for the grinder is found at the rear of the machine and can hold up a half-pound of unground coffee beans.
- Stainless-Steel Burr Coffee Grinder: The built-in burr coffee grinder enables this appliance to make the freshest coffee possible. It’s adjustable so that you can make six different grind sizes.
- Brew Size Control: An easy to use dial allows you to choose your batch sizes, from single-serve up to a full 60oz carafe.
- 8 Strength Settings: Using settings 2 to 8, you can brew the weakest coffee strength (and it is very weak) up to a highly robust and full-flavored strength. Setting number 1 will allow you to brew pre-ground coffee in which you’ll control the strength by the amount of grinds you put in.
- ‘Steep & Release’: The steep and release function will give you single-serve coffee at the same strength and consistency as coffee that’s been brewed in a whole batch.
- Thermal Carafe: A thermal carafe not only keeps your coffee warmer for longer, but it also won’t stew your coffee like a glass carafe on a warming plate will. Find the best thermal coffee makers.
- Countdown Timer: Found on the LCD, the countdown timer will inform you how it’s long going to be until your next coffee fix.
- Removable Drip Tray: The benefits of the removable drip tray are two-fold. Firstly it makes it far easier to clean than a fixed tray, and secondly, it gives you more room to fit a travel mug under the dispenser to brew a single-serve coffee directly into your container.
- Auto-Start: Begin your day the right way with the auto-start feature, which will ensure you wake up to a steaming hot cup of coffee at a time of your choosing.
Ease of Use, Build Quality & Cleaning
Despite having a decent number of features, the Breville Grind Control is still relatively straightforward to use. The control panel is laid out intuitively, and the LCD will inform what each turn of a dial or twist of a knob has done.
Much like the hidden water reservoir, the brew basket is discreetly hidden behind a door that swings open at the touch of a button and gives you plenty of room to work. The brew basket itself is sturdy in construction and switching between filters is relatively simple too.
As this is a Breville appliance, the build quality is first-rate. Like the Precision Brewer, this coffee maker is made using heavy brushed steel, so it’s durable and long-lasting. At the same time, each removable piece clicks into place and has a solid feel.
General cleaning and upkeep of this appliance is straightforward, despite it not being dishwasher safe. However, you will need to conduct regular maintenance to ensure the longevity of your coffee maker. The grinder can cause a build-up of coffee particles over time that could cause issues in the future.
Should you buy the Breville Grind Control Coffee Maker?
The Breville Grind Control isn’t cheap; in fact, it’s one of the more expensive units on the market outside professional-grade appliances, so why buy it?
Coffee beans begin to lose their flavor almost as soon as they are ground. So having a coffee maker with grinder will give you the freshest coffee possible. When you combine freshly ground coffee with the custom control, this coffee maker provides you with the means to have your morning Joe taste precisely as you want it to.
Even though this is a substantial coffee maker, having a 2-in-1 appliance will take up less countertop/cupboard space than owning a separate coffee maker and grinder.