All Clad D5 Review: amazing product that comes at a price
All Clad D5 performs great at browning, searing an anything else you throw at it. Great heat distribution prevents any hot spots. Strong bonded stainless steel and aluminum construction and lifetime warranty ensure that you will enjoy using D5 set for decades.
Compared to All-Clad D3, D5 is heavier and a lot pricier without a huge performance difference. D3 is perfectly fine for a home cook and is a lot better value for the money. Both sets are made in the USA.
The All-Clad D5 Stainless Steel Set is part of the well known All-Clad range. Manufactured in the USA, All-Clad offers high quality, durable cookware suitable for chefs and passionate home cooks alike.
Design and materials
It is constructed with 5 different layers of metal sandwiched together. These layers consist of alternating layers of stainless steel and aluminum core, beginning with a magnetic stainless steel outer layer and ending with an 18/10 stainless steel inner layer. The aluminum layers provide optimum heat conduction and the magnetic stainless steel outer layer makes this cookware set ideal for induction cooking.
With all these layers of metalworking together to provide superior heat distribution and retention while cooking, it’s no surprise that D5 cookware is energy efficient and actually shortens your cooking time.
The cooking surface is made up of highly polished steel that gives it a very distinguished look. This surface will provide you with superior stick resistance, easy cleaning and will not alter the taste of your food.
Its unique 5-ply construction makes it warp-free and provides even heating throughout.
Despite the extra layers of metal used in constructing this cookware, they don’t add much weight to the pans.
They are still lightweight and are easy to move around when cooking. The little weight that it does add to the pans is suitably supported with the ergonomic stainless steel handles that are firmly riveted to the pans with rivets. These sturdy handles help control the pans while cooking.
The handles have an odd-looking design, but this design is meant to make the handle more supportive when cooking. It is designed for your thumb to curl in the groove on the top side of the handle when holding the pan and provides extra support.
Unfortunately, not everyone likes the handle design. The main complaints are that handles are not comfortable and get hot.
The tight stainless steel lids help keep the flavors in while cooking.
These pans can be used in the oven or broiler to temperatures up to 600F (315C).
Ideal for induction hobs, these pans can be used on most hobs and are great for cooking all types of dishes and excel at searing and browning.
They are dishwasher safe and have a limited lifetime warranty.
Another helpful feature for cooking is the flared rims, which are unique to the D5 and copper core cookware range. The flared rims on these pans make pouring much easier and drip-free when compared pans without them.
- 3-quart saucepan with a lid
- 3-quart sauté pan with a lid
- 10-inch fry pan
- 6-quart sauté pan with a lid
- 2-quart and a 4-quart saucepans with a lid
- 8-quart stockpot with a lid
- 12-quart stockpot with a lid
- 8-inch fry pan
Customers who have purchased and used this D5 5-piece set have found it to be very durable and forgiving. They
are generally very happy with their purchase and regret not purchasing it sooner. Several customers have had them for more than a decade and comment that these are the best pans they’ve ever used.
Some customers found the unique handle design to be uncomfortable and took time to get used to. Others found
that the handles heated up and they had to use mittens or cloths when using the cookware.
It takes time to adapt to cooking with stainless steel cookware. A superior cookware set does not come packaged with superior cooking skills. It is important to know that pans should be hot when ingredients are added to prevent them from sticking. Because the pans retain their heat so well, medium to low heats should be used for cooking and simmering.
Customers have been pleasantly surprised at the results when cleaning this set in a dishwasher. It is relatively easy to clean, and the brushed stainless steel only takes a little extra care to maintain its pristine condition. Customers who found the set hard to clean found that soaking the pans before washing them and using a stainless steel cleaner occasionally was very helpful.
- The unique 5-ply design provides optimum heat retention and distribution.
- The D5’s unique design makes this pan warp-proof.
- These pans can be used in the oven or broiler up to 600F.
- The D5 range is suitable for use on all hobs.
- The design of these pans is intended for optimum performance on induction hobs.
- This set comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- This high-quality cookware is made in the USA.
- These pans are dishwasher safe.
- This All-Clad set is one of the more expensive options.
- The pots and pans are made of stainless steel and this may be a struggle to adapt to after using non-stick cookware.
- The D5 range is slightly heavier than other All-Clad pots and pans due to its 5-ply design.
- Stainless steel can be hard to keep clean. Soaking the pans after use helps minimize the effort required to clean them. Stainless steel cleaners like Bar Keepers Friend help to keep the pans in pristine condition.
The initial layout for the All-Clad D5 Stainless Steel 5-piece set can be quite daunting. It is an expensive purchase
but is well worth the investment.
Its superior heat retention and distribution will save a lot in time and energy bills in the future.
This is a strong, durable set that will serve you well for many years to come.
Adapting to cooking with new pans may take a little while, but perseverance will pay off. Chefs and passionate home cooks will appreciate the benefits of the unique 5-ply design.
Our All-Clad D5 review verdict: strongly recommended!
Comparison to other brands:
- TIMELESS PROFESSIONAL APPEAL: All-Clad Brushed D5 Stainless is a perfect choice for the passionate chef. Beyond the attractive brushed exterior, you will find a well-constructed, high-performance, durable kitchenware set, trusted by cooks of all levels and expertise for decades.
- VERSATILE FOR ALL YOUR COOKING NEEDS: This kitchenware set includes 8-inch and 10-inch fry pans, 1.5-quart and 3-quart sauce pans with lids, a 3-quart sauce pan with a lid, and an 8-quart stock pot with a lid. Each piece has flared edges for drip-free pouring and is crafted with quality materials, including the stainless-steel core, to hold and distribute heat evenly throughout the pan, so only medium heat is required for your searing, braising, sautéing and simmering needs.
- MADE IN THE USA TO LAST A LIFETIME: The Brushed D5 Stainless collection features five alternating layers of American-made stainless-steel and aluminum, bonded together all the way to the rim. The classic stainless-steel handles are uniquely designed for balance and control, stay cool on the stovetop, and are permanently secured with stainless-steel rivets. Products are rigorously tested to ensure that every item with the All-Clad logo offers a lifetime of beauty and performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is All-Clad D5 Worth It?
Although they are very expensive, D5 pots and pans are of superior quality and will last you several decades and maybe even the rest of your life with its limited lifetime warranty. The pots and pans are also energy efficient with their 5-ply construction, which will shorten cooking time and save on your energy bill.
The D5 All-Clad is a real investment and also makes a wonderful wedding gift. This range is worth every cent it costs.
Is All-Clad D5 Really The Best?
When compared to previous models like the tri-ply or 2-ply All-Clad cookware, D5 All-Clad is a step up. It’s more forgiving when cooking and has all the desirable features that the previous models have and offers more. Despite the extra features and improvements it offers, the D5 range is only a fraction more expensive than the others. We also think All Clad makes the best stockpot with their D5 range.
The next step up from the D5 is the 5-ply with copper core that is only slightly more expensive. Some customers have commented that the copper core sets don’t offer that much more than the D5 and they don’t feel the cost was worth it. There is only one competitor that usually is a little cheaper but offers similar performance – Viking 5-ply cookware set.
When compared with traditional bonded cookware, the D5 range is 15% more energy-efficient and has 20% more even heating. It is safe to use on all hobs and its unique 5-ply design is intended for optimum performance on induction hobs by reaching temperature and reacting faster to temperatures changes.
Taking all this into consideration, compared to the other ranges, All-Clad D5 really is superior.
What Is The Difference Between All-Clad D3 and D5 ?
The major difference between D3 and D5 All-Clad is the way they are constructed. The D5 is constructed with 5 different layers of metal sandwiched together, while the D3 is only made up of 3 individual layers.
The fewer layers of cladding in the D3 means that it is slightly lighter than the D5. The D3 also conducts and retains heat very well, but with its extra layers of cladding, the D5 cookware provides superior heat retention and distribution. This makes it more energy-efficient than the D3. The D5 also comes with its unique flared rims that the D3 does not have.