ScanPan vs GreenPan: the battle of nonsticks
Disclaimer: we may receive commissions from purchases made via our links at no cost to you
Reasons to choose Scanpan
- Much more durable nonstick coating than GreenPan – in fact, Scanpan’s Stratanium+ coating is one of the best in the whole industry.
- Better pan construction of top models – Scanpan premium pans have 5-ply construction which provides great heat distribution, strength and warp resistance.
- Higher quality – all pans are made in Denmark with the highest quality standards. In comparison, Greenpan pans are made in their own factory in China.
- Environmentally friendlier compared to other brands – Scanpan uses 100% recycled aluminum.
Recommended Scanpan cookware:
- Braise, sear & deglaze food with the same gourmet results as if you were cooking in a stainless steel pan
- Unique squeeze-casted cookware guarantees quick and even heat distribution for professional grade cooking
- Patented ceramic titanium surface is 10 times harder than steel
- Five–layer clad–aluminum construction with mirror–polished stainless steel exterior
- Commercial–grade nonstick surface is metal–utensil safe
- For all stovetops, including induction
- Five–ply cast aluminum and stainless–steel clad construction combines rapid and even heat distribution with superior heat retention
- Beautiful mirror–polished stainless–steel exterior
- Commercial–grade STRATANIUM+ nonstick surface is metal–utensil safe
Reasons to choose GreenPan
- Much lower price tag – GreenPan price is multiple times lower compared to Scanpan. Although it’s very competitively priced we don’t think it provides a better value.
- More color options – if you are looking for a colorful cookware set then GreenPan is a better choice since Scanpan offers only stainless steel and black cookware.
Recommended Greenpan cookware
- SWISS NON-STICK COATING - Switzerland ILAG nonstick coating, SGS approved. PFOA free，safe and healthy.
- WOODGRAIN BAKELITE HANDLE - The bakelite handle features woodgrain design, it is comfortable to grip and stays cool while cooking. Oven safe to 302°F.
- HIGH MAGNETIC CONDUCTIVE BASE - High magnetic conductive stainless steel base. The nonstick skillet bottom is flat and thick, which helps distribute heat evenly and quickly. Suitable for all stove, including induction cooktop.
- REPLACES 14 COOKING TOOLS and APPLIANCES: This cooker replaces the need for a slow cooker, steam oven, food warmer, nonstick pot, sauté pan, cast iron skillet, saucier, steamer, saucepan, stock pot, Dutch oven, roasting pan, bread maker, and utensil.
- SEAR and SAUTÉ DIRECTLY IN THE POT: Using the bottom heating elements, you are able to sear proteins and sauté vegetables right in the cooking pot—no need to transfer to the stovetop.
- OVEN SAFE TO 500 degree F: Removable cooking pot is oven safe up to 500 degree F, so you can finish your meal in the oven for a crispy top.
- Swiss Non-Stick Coating - Switzerland ILAG nonstick granite coating, SGS approved. PFOA free, smokeless, safe & healthy. Cooking with little oil for healthy diet.
- Suitable For All Stoves - High magnetic conductive stainless steel base allows the deep frying pan to work on all cooktops, including induction. The core of the frying pan is made of die cast aluminum, which is durable and heats up quickly and evenly.
- Versatile Saute Pan with Pour Spout- Size: 10" diameter, 2.7" tall, 3.5 Quart. Deep and large enough for saute, stirfry, boil, shallow fry & deep fry. The pour spout is super handy for soups and oils.
Company Origins & Short History
ScanPan is a family-owned cookware company originating from Denmark. For the past 30 years, they have been constructing a high standard of nonstick cookware free from harmful chemicals. ScanPan only uses recycled pressure-cast aluminum to manufacture their cookware, leaving very little carbon footprint and delivering excellent quality pots and pans worldwide.
GreenPan is high-end, Belgian made cookware brand, which was started by two school friends, Wim De Veirman and Jan Helskens. GreenPan was the first cookware brand to move away from traditional nonstick coatings and towards healthier options. Since 2007 they have been constructing durable, safe, eco-friendly cookware. GreenPan uses upcycled aluminum and stainless steel whenever they can while maintaining the same high standard of cookware. They also now emit only 40% of the CO2 that they used too during their curing process for traditional nonstick coatings.
What Unique Technology Does Each Brand Use?
GreenPan is coated with Thermolon. This is a ceramic-like material that comes from sand. No PFOA, PTFE, PFAS, cadmium, or lead is used during the manufacturing process. GreenPan is proud of this unique, non-toxic coating.
Thermolon is extremely heat resistant, withstanding heated of up to 842F. Even under this temperature, the nonstick coating won’t blister or bubble. GreenPan has over 10 years of experience in cookware and over the years they have continued to improve their coating for better durability and cooking performance. Today they use the fifth generation of Thermolon, which has intensified its nonstick abilities and durability with the use of diamonds.
Similarly, ScanPan has its own unique coating, Stratanium+. This original coating is made using ceramic and titanium. ScanPan boasts that Stratanium+ is tougher than steel, resistant to scratches, and can withstand long-term use. Stratanium+ can withstand heat of up to 932F while maintaining its nonstick capabilities.
ScanPan’s latest nonstick cookware is coated with the most current version of their Stratanium+ nonstick coating. This version is made using a unique blend of titanium and ceramic, which is both PFOS, PTFE, and PFOA-free and can handle the use of metal utensils.
List of Available Cookware Ranges
ScanPan has several different cookware ranges available, both coated and not coated.
- Classic. This nonstick cookware range is the original ScanPan cookware. It is built to withstand daily use and is gas and ceramic compatible.
- IQ. These pans are specifically designed for induction cooking. The pans are crafted out of aluminum and are coated with ScanPan’s nonstick coating. They are then severely tested and scrutinized to ensure a high standard of cookware. Scanpan HaptIQ has been selected as the most durable cookware.
- IQ Pro. This range is designed to last you a lifetime. It features ScanPan’s unique nonstick coating, as well as a thick base to ensure that less energy is used during the cooking process.
- CTX. The CTX range features a 5-ply construction of aluminum and stainless steel. This enables it to retain heat for longer and evenly distribute heat. It also makes this range induction compatible. This range is very durable and has a stunning outer layer to grace any kitchen.
- Classic Steel. ScanPan also offers a stainless steel cookware range. These saucepans and pots are constructed out of high-quality stainless steel. They can be used on all hobs and are designed to last for a long time.
- Impact. Impact cookware range is specifically designed for luxury. The cookware in this range is crafted using stainless steel and a thick aluminum core. Besides the coating, it has all the same features that the other cookware ranges have. Its main drawcard, though, is its stunning looks.
- Maitre D’ Copper. ScanPan also offers a copper cookware range with a stainless steel cooking surface. This elegant cookware range features a French design and is perfect for cooking in style and for serving meals directly on the table.
- Maitre D’ Steel. Similar to ScanPan’s copper range, you can also choose from a steel cookware range. This cookware has a stunning polished exterior to really spice up your kitchen and give it a sophisticated look.
GreenPan also offers a variety of cookware ranges that are coated and not coated.
- Prime Midnight. This cookware range is made of hard-anodized aluminum, ensuring durable cookware. It is coated with GreenPan’s ceramic coating and is scratch resistant. The cookware lives up to its name and has a sleek, sophisticated look.
- Napa. Napa is GreenPan’s stainless steel cookware range. The cookware is made using a three-ply stainless steel design and is coated with the ceramic coating for easy nonstick cooking – offering the best of both worlds. It also has a stunning exterior that will grace any kitchen.
- Valencia Pro. Similar to Prime Midnight, this cookware range is also made using hard-anodized aluminum. It is extremely durable and is nonstick, thanks to GreenPan’s ceramic coating. Valencia Pro’s drawcard is its Magneto base, which offers superior induction capabilities while maintaining excellent performance on regular hobs.
- Chatham. Chatham is also constructed using hard-anodized aluminum, which is twice as strong as stainless steel. It also features a Magneto base for induction capabilities and is coated with the trademark coating, which won’t become toxic, even if you overheat it.
- Rio. Rio’s thick, hard-anodized aluminum design ensures quick and even heating when cooking. The range is known for its vibrant colors and its ceramic nonstick coating, which is now enhanced with diamonds. You’ll also enjoy the stay-cool handles and the tempered glass lids.
- Venice Pro. The Venice Pro cookware range is made using multiple layers of stainless steel with Evershine, giving it a stunning look. It is very durable and suitable for use on induction and other hobs. The cookware features GreenPan’s diamond reinforced ceramic coating for optimal nonstick cooking.
- Paris. This cookware range is the perfect combination of style and comfort. Its hard-anodized body and nonstick coating are designed to withstand constant use. The cookware also features a thick base, which helps prevent warping. This range is compatible with all hobs except induction.
- Lima. This range is designed to work hard in your kitchen and to satisfy the needs of any chef. Its hard-anodized construction ensures optimal heat retention and distribution, and extreme durability. It is coated with GreenPan’s ceramic coating for effortless nonstick cooking.
ScanPan and GreenPan are both top-notch cookware brands, and their prices will reflect that. Both brands have cookware in a variety of price ranges. Whatever your budget, you’ll find something to suit your needs. GreenPan, however, is generally cheaper. Sometimes up to 50% cheaper on sets of similar sizes and features.
Customers who have switched to using environmentally friendly cookware are generally very pleased with their ScanPan or GreenPan purchases.
ScanPan customers enjoy the sturdy but lightweight feel of the cookware. It is also very easy to clean, distributes heat well, and the handles don’t get hot. The induction compatible cookware also works well on induction hobs.
The nonstick coating on ScanPan cookware lasts longer according to customer reviews. Many used the nonstick cookware for at least a year before the nonstick coating began to lose its effectiveness. Some used their cookware for up to 2 years before needing to replace it.
GreenPan customers commented that the cookware should always be used with a little oil. This cookware must also only be used on low to medium heats and customers who adhered to this found the cookware lasted longer. Users recommend hand washing the pots and pans once they have cooled down to preserve the coating. Several users were unimpressed with the coating, which seems to deteriorate within just a few months of use. The coating stains easily and is hard to keep clean. The biggest complaint is that the handles heat up and even burn while cooking, releasing toxic fumes.
If you are looking for cookware with healthier coatings, then both GreenPan and ScanPan are good choices. Both brands make sturdy, durable cookware. Because it is cheaper, GreenPan is more affordable to replace when the coating loses its nonstick capabilities.
ScanPan, however, generally offers better value for money. The nonstick coating lasts longer than GreenPan according to customer reviews. They also have handles that do not heat up. ScanPan also offers cookware without interior coatings. These may be a better investment because they last longer.