Best quality and features
Best budget set
Best non stick option
Electric coil stoves are the cheapest stoves around and for this reason, they’re found in many kitchens. Having the right cookware will make cooking on these hobs a great experience and knowing how to use a coil stove will lengthen the life span of the pots and pan you use. This article is a review of some of the best cookware for electric coil stoves.
One tip to keep in mind is that the cheaper your stove is, the better your cookware needs to be. Infamous for their uneven heating, coil stoves take a while to heat up and cool down. The secret to success is using medium to heavy-gauge cookware. Designed for even distribution of heat, it cooks food evenly and it is less likely to burn.
Flat bottom cookware works best on electric coil stoves. This design ensures that food cooks evenly and at the same temperature compared to cookware with sloped and rounded sides. Cookware that is designed with a copper core on the bottom and up the sides of the pots and pans does this very well.
Stainless steel, cast iron, copper and aluminum are the best materials to use on an electric coil stove. They should be preheated gradually before cooking. Remember that the electric coil heats up slowly, so switch it on to heat your pan while you are still preparing your ingredients. By the time you are ready to cook the whole pan, bottom and sides will be nice and warm. If need be, you can then turn the heat down a little to carry on cooking.
Best Value Option
The silver 12-piece Tri-ply T-fal Stainless Steel Cookware Model E469SC, with its aluminum core, ensures rapid and even heating, and is stick resistant.
The set contains all you need for everyday cooking. It has 3 fry pans in 8, 10 and 12-inch, which are great for searing and browning almost everything. The 3 saucepans are 1.5, 2.5 and 3-quarts and all come with lids. They are ideal for reheating, boiling and making sauces. A 3-quart steamer insert increases the versatility of the pans and the 6-quart Dutch oven is ideal for stocks and large meals.
The long, riveted stainless steel handles resist heat and the easy grip handles on larger pieces make it comfortable to use. The set is oven safe to 500F, can be used together with metal utensils and is also dishwasher safe.
- Oven safe to 500F, pans can be heated in the oven to sear steaks and seafood.
- A strong, durable design with its 3-ply heavy gauge 18/10 stainless steel and aluminum core construction. This design extends up the sides too, ensuring that food is heated and cooked evenly throughout.
- This set is very easy to clean. Bar Keeper’s Friend, or a similar soap, is highly recommended for keeping pans in mint condition.
- Pots and pans will discolor if used on high heats. High heats should only be used for boiling.
- Handles on the lids do not stay cool, only the handles on the sides.
An alternative best value option is Cuisinart’s Tri-ply 10 piece Stainless Steel set. Constructed to provide heating evenly across the bottom and sides of the pans, it has the same multi-clad type design. This set offers all the benefits of the above set, but its handles are designed to stay cool.
Best High End Option
Calphalon has an excellent 13 Piece, Stainless Steel Cookware set that is great for use on electric coil stoves. Over and over customers are generally thrilled with this purchase even after using these pots and pans for years.
The pots and pans are heavy-gauge, an aluminum core sandwiched between 2 layers of stainless steel, and offer superior conductivity and even heating. The brushed stainless steel handles stay cool when cooking on the stovetop.
The set includes 3 omelet pans in 8, 10 and 12-inches. The rest of the set all comes with their own lids: There are 2 saucepans in 1.5 and 2.5-quarts, a 2-quart sauté pan, a 3-quart chef’s pan, and an 8-quart stockpot.
For the best no-stick cooking results with this set, take ingredients out of the refrigerator 15 minutes before you start cooking. Preheat the pan on medium heat rather than on high heat. If a knob of butter bubbles or browns when putting into the pan it is too hot, let it cool slightly before testing again. If the butter melts without bubbling then the pan is ready to use.
- This set carries Calphalon’s lifetime warranty.
- Clear glass lids allow you to check on your food while it’s cooking – and they’re oven safe so you can finish cooking in the oven or keep food warm until serving.
- The variety of pot sizes makes searing, frying, boiling, simmering and general cooking easy and hassle free.
- Keeping them clean and in pristine condition is a little more work. Be sure to remove all residue from previous cooking and aerosol cooking sprays when cleaning.
- The glass lids retain their heat too, so make sure to allow them to cool down before touching the glass.
Cuisinart’s French Classic Tri-ply 10 piece Stainless Steel cookware set is an excellent alternative to the Calphalon set. It also comes with a lifetime warranty and cleans easily after a good soak. Oven safe to 500F, the heat surround technology and tight fitting stainless steel lids are excellent.
Best Budget Option
If finance is a deciding factor then the Cook N Home NC-00359 Nonstick Ceramic Coating 10-Piece Cookware Set, is an excellent choice. The design and quality of these pots and pans proves you don’t always have to sacrifice quality when paying a lower price. Customer feedback is excellent, with most being extremely happy with their purchase.
The set comes with 2 sauces pans that are 1 and 2-quart big, a 3-quart casserole, a 5-quart dutch oven and two fry pans that are 8 and 9.5-inches. The pots all have lids, which are interchangeable and can also be used on the frying pans.
The pots and pans are coated with ceramic, which offers superior scratch resistance and makes cleaning them a breeze. The thick gauge aluminum prevents hot spots and provides even heat distribution. The set is very durable and well made, but is not suitable for use in an oven or dishwasher.
- This quality set is sturdy and durable.
- The nonstick ceramic coating is a great healthy option and does not scratch easily.
- The lids fit all the pots and pans securely and are interchangeable.
- These pots and pans are not oven or dishwasher safe.
- The glass lids are quite heavy and need to be well looked after.
An alternative budget set is definitely GreenLife’s Ceramic Non-Stick 14 Piece set. These pots and pans can be used in the dishwasher, are oven safe up to 350F and have stay cool handles. The set comes with 4 glass lids and these can be used interchangeably on the other pots and pans.
Best Non-Stick Option
Ceramic coating works very well on electric coil stoves. The WearEver C943SA Pure Living 10-Piece set is a heavy gauge aluminum with ceramic coating, making it durable set that offers superior scratch and stain resistance.
The set includes 8 and 10.5-inch sauté pans, a 3-quart sauce pan, a 3.5-quart skillet and a 5-quart dutch oven, a nylon spoon and a slotted turner. The sauté pans do not come with their own lids, but the lids from the pots fit nicely on the pans too.
The aluminum base of the set ensures even heat distribution when cooking and they are oven safe to 350F. The actual cooking surface can withstand heats up to 700F, which is perfect for searing meat, fish and poultry. The soft touch silicone handles are very comfortable and offer a secure grip.
For best results this set should seasoned before use and if you wash with soap, this seasoning process should be done weekly.
- Washing these pots and pans is very easy because of the ceramic.
- This nonstick option is oven safe to 350F.
- The combination of pots and pans in this set is not ‘standard’ and makes a nice variation.
- These pans stack very nicely in each other. Investing in some pot separators is a worthwhile investment as they scratch easily when stacked.
- These pots and pans should be washed by hand to maintain the non-stick coating.
Cuisinart GG-12 GreenGourmet Hard-Anodized Nonstick 12-Piece Cookware Set is another superior non-stick set. Its construction requires less energy to heat it and its made of 70% recycled stainless steel. It offers a great variety of pots and pans, which makes cooking versatile.
Best Custom Set
Depending on your personal needs, you may not find a cookware set that has everything you’d prefer to cook with. You may be able to put together your own custom set by buying separate pots and pans instead.
Cast iron pots work well on electric coil stoves. They are strong and durable and keep their heat very well. Lodge makes a 3 Quart Cast Iron Combo Cooker we would highly recommend. Pre-seasoned, this deep skillet can also be used as a fryer, a dutch oven and the lid doubles as a shallow skillet or griddle.
- This is a very versatile skillet that can be used for many different purposes.
- Because it is made of cast iron, this cooker will never warp and the heat distribution and retention are also fantastic.
- This cooker is pre-seasoned. The more you cook with it the better the seasoning will get.
- The lid is much heavier than the skillet.
- The handles do get very hot so consider purchasing some silicone pot handles
This is a very versatile pot combo in a strong, durable material that will work very well on an electric coil stove. If you are short of storage space this is a great purchase as it can be used for so much.
Some inexpensive nonstick pans would be our next item of choice. These are a ‘wear and tear item’ that we expect to replace every couple of years, especially on an electric coil stove. T-fal’s B363S3 Specialty Nonstick Fry Pan Set contains 3 pans in 8, 9.5 and 11 inches. They are lightweight, cook well and clean very easily.
• Lovely lightweight pans make cooking quick items like omlettes and pancakes a joy.
• The Thermal spot indicator in the middle of the pans shows when the pan is perfectly pre-heated.
• These pans have an even heat base, which for even heat distribution.
• Non stick pans need extra care so be careful not to use sharp or metal objects when cooking
• High heat will damage the nonstick coating. Make sure to only use them on medium to low temperatures and to heat them slowly before use.
This non-stick set of frying pans will do exactly what you need them to on your electric coil stove. If you use moderate heat you will be able to enjoy the nonstick coating for longer, so it is best to avoid high temperatures with these pans.
Multi-clad is an excellent combination of materials for electric coil stoves. Cuisinart makes a huge variety of multi-clad pots and pans, and there are many different sizes to choose from.
The Cuisinart MCP22-30HCN Pro Skillet is 12-inch and is oven safe up to 500F. The multi-clad design ensures even heat distribution along the base and side walls of the skillet. The lid helps to lock in moisture and allows for easy simmering and the skillet is great for making dishes like risotto and stroganoff.
• The multi-clad design offers excellent heat retention and distribution.
• It can be used in the oven, on the stovetop and is freezer safe.
• The cooking surface is a polished stainless steel that will not discolor or alter food flavors.
• The lid is stainless steel instead of glass and while it fits very well it is not possible to see the food while it is cooking
• The skillet is a little heavy.
This is a very effective skillet that is perfect for simmering on an electric coil stove. Its design effectively distributes heat and it responds quickly to temperature changes on the coil.
If you do a lot of Asian cooking then a flat-bottomed wok is best to use on your electric coil stove. The Cooks Standard 12″ Multi-Ply clad stainless steel wok comes with a glass lid. Its design includes 2 layers of 18/10 stainless steel and an aluminum core along base and walls. It is a comfortable weight to work with and the heat distribution and retention is excellent. It is excellent for stir-fries and quick cooking, bu
• This is a large, multi-purpose pan which can be used for a lot more than stir frying.
• The flat bottom sits securely on the electric coil and the design allows for quick, even heat distribution
• It is oven safe to 500F and also dishwasher safe.
• The wok is not pre-seasoned. For best results season the pan with oil before the first use.
• The long outside handle is more heat resistant that the small inner handle.
This heavy-duty stainless steel wok works so well on an electric coil stove. The heat is distributed very effectively and it is not too heavy. The flat bottom means it doesn’t wobble on the stove and heat is even distributed throughout. This is a great multipurpose pan.
The final item we would add to a custom set is a stock pot. When it comes to simmering, electric coil beats gas as it can steadily hold a low heat.
Farberware’s Classic Stainless Steel 6-quart stockpot is our choice. Their stockpots do come in a variety of sizes, this being the smallest one. The design ensures quick, even heating whether you’re boiling pasta or simmering vegetable soup.
• The self-basting lid seals in moisture and heat
• This pot comes with a lifetime guarantee against defects
• The handles are a unique design and a bit short.
This covered stockpot’s aluminum and stainless steel design ensures good heat distribution and retention. It will work well on an electric coil stove. A heavy-duty pot, this stockpot is excellent for every day use. It also comes with a strainer lid for easy straining off of extra liquid after cooking.
There are a huge variety of cookware sets on the market that can be used on electric coil stoves. It is important that whatever you choose is made of heavy gauge materials that ensure even heat distribution across the bottom and sides of the cookware. Look out for cast iron, multiclad and multi-ply material pots and pans. Remember to season any nonstick cookware before first use for a natural nonstick effect. The joy you will get out of your cooking set is determined equally by the quality of the materials and the care you give it when using it.