Curried Watermelon Sorbet
Although ice and fruit juice have been dessert buddies for centuries, I didn’t get into making sorbet until very recently. Easier to make than regular ice cream, sorbet might be voted the official refreshing dessert of summer. And who could complain?
This sorbet matches the ultra-summery watermelon with a hint of spice through the addition of curry powder. An unusual combination indeed, but it might have you look beyond the simple slices of watermelon provided at picnics.
- 1 lbs of watermelon, purreed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp vodka
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients, except for vodka, in a wide skillet over medium low heat.
- Gently heat, stirring to combine. Adjust sugar and curry levels as needed.
- Do not bring to a boil, but simmer until sugar is absorbed. (If very watery, you could always cook a little longer to get rid of excess moisture.)
- Remove from heat, allowing to cool to room temperature. Tranfser to freezer-safe dish/bowl.
- Stir in vodka and place in freezer.
- Check every two hours, scraping with an overturned fork until desired consistency is reached. Enjoy!