Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Lemon and Smoked Salmon
- 1 head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 1 slice good quality smoked salmon, per serving
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 10 white peppercorns, uncrushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 good pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- parsley and smoked paprika to garnish
- salt and white pepper to taste
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In an ovenproof casserole, drizzle olive oil over cauliflower and onion and roast until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Empty casserole dish into large stock pot and add stock, peppercorns, bay leaves, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, removing any scum that might float to the surface.
- Add cream, and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Blend with an immersion blender, or blend in a food processor until smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Ladle into heated bowls and add smoked salmon. Garnish with finely chopped parsely and a pinch of smoked paprika.