4-slot toasters: budget and premium models compared
Disclaimer: we may receive commissions from purchases made via our links at no cost to you
The Cuisinart CPT-180P1 Classic 4-Slice toaster is our favorite appliance of this type thanks to its timeless appearance and its ability to make toast really quickly with an even finish.
The dual controls are great for making toast for multiple people (though it’s not a great choice of appliance for people who prefer almost burnt toast), and in the grand scheme of things, it’s not hugely expensive.
IKICH’s 4-Slice toaster offers the best value for money out of all the toasters we’ve looked at. Its long slots are ideal for toasting larger slices of bread, and the warming rack for pastries is a nice touch.
Though this appliance might launch your toast across the kitchen, and there are no dual controls, if this toaster fits your needs, its an excellent appliance for a super reasonable price point.
You can’t go wrong with toast for breakfast; it’s a classic. Toast is quick and easy to make, not to mention delicious. But not all toast is created equal.
The quality of your toast very much depends on the appliance you use to make it.
We’re going to look at five of our favorite toasters, particularly 4-slice toasters (which are perfect appliances for families and toast addicts), in five different categories to help you decide which is the right one for your kitchen.
The categories are: Best 4-slice toaster, best value 4-slice toaster, best 4-slice toaster design, most futuristic 4-slice toaster, and best budget 4-slice toaster.
What Makes an Ideal 4-Slice Toaster?
If you have a small family who loves toast, or you just really really love toast yourself, a 4-slice appliance is the logical choice. More toast, more quickly.
But not all 4-slice toasters are the same and there are many variables that separates different brands and models . Here’s a list of things to consider (as we did in this review) when choosing your perfect 4-slice appliance.
- Slot Size: A wide slot is essential if you like toasting bagels, thick breads, or crumpets. A minimum slot width of 1.5 inches is needed, though if you only want to toast regular bread, slot width isn’t important.
- Price: The price points of 4-slice toasters can be wildly different (as you’ll see), but we’ve found the $60 to $120 price range to be the sweet spot between quality and affordability.
- Versatility: While basic toasters are adequate for people who want standard toast without spending a lot of money, you’ll want a variety of features on your appliance to get the best value for money and to keep breakfast time interesting. Some of the common features to look for on 4-slice toasters are bagels, defrost, reheat, keep warm, and pastry racks.
- Build-Quality & Reliability: Build-Quality and reliability are vitally important when buying a new appliance. We’ve considered the views (both positive and negative) of thousands of consumers when researching the best 4-slice toasters.
Our top 5 recommended 4-slot toasters
1. Cuisinart Classic 4-Slice Toaster (CPT-180P1)
- Dual control panels make this two toasters in one with smooth Brushed Stainless housing
- Custom control: 6-setting browning dials, dual reheat, defrost and bagel buttons with LED indicators
- 1-1/2 inch - wide toasting slots, Extra-lift carriage lever, slide-out crumb tray and convenient cord storage
Things To Love:
- Classic Appearance: The Cuisinart Classic 4-slice toaster lives up to its name with a 50s style appearance. Available in stainless steel, metallic red, or white, this excellent toaster resembles an old-fashioned radio with its knobs, buttons, and dials.
- Three Settings: While not the most expansive number of settings, this toaster comes with presets for bagels, defrost, and reheat. There’s a cancel button too in case of toasting emergencies.
- It Toasts Extremely Fast & Evenly: The Cuisinart 4-slice toast won’t keep you waiting for your breakfast as it toasts really faster. Even consumers who love burnt toast and need to toast it twice think this appliance is rapid. It’s not just fast, it toasts evenly too.
- ‘Extra Lift’: Never again feel the frustration at the struggle to get small slices of bread out of your toaster. The extra lift handle lets you manually elevate your toast to get it out easily.
- Dual Controls: This 4-slice toaster is perfect for making toast for two people. And if you like different levels of doneness, the dual control system lets you choose individual shade settings separately from one another.
- Precise Shading Levels: Unlike push-button toasters, the dials on this appliance will increase the heat gradually, so even though the levels are number from 1 to 6, there’s all the space in between to really dial in your preferred setting.
What’s Not To Like:
- Not The Best For Dark Toast: For people who like their toast almost burnt, this appliance might not be the one for you as dark toast lovers report needing to toast their bread twice in this appliance.
- Poor Cord Storage: If you like to put your toaster away after using it, the cord storage on this appliance is poorly designed underneath the toaster, and oftentimes the cords won’t stay wound.
For a relatively reasonable price point, the Cuisinart Classic 4-Slice toaster will improve the appearance of your kitchen, decrease the amount of time you have to wait for your breakfast, and deliver perfectly even toast.
Not one for burnt toast lovers.
2. IKICH 4-Slice Toaster
- Save your time up to Long Slot Toaster: IKICH Long Shot Toaster, One time for 4 Slices, such as muffins, sandwich bread, pullman loaf, ect. Or sometimes 2 Pieces of Longer & Larger breads, such as artisan breads, sourdough breads
- More Favor Choice with 6-Install Toasting Gears: 1. Dry Out the bread 2. just a Little Light browning Setting 3. Golden browning Setting 4. Deep Lighter browning Setting 5. Dark browning Setting 6. Deep Darker browning
- Compact & Big Enough: Relatively small and compact 4 slice toaster that will fit well on your kitchen counter without occupying too much space
Things To Love:
- Long Slots: Though the IKICH 4-slice toaster comfortably fits 4 slices of bread, this appliance has only two slots, which means you can use it for toasting longer slices of bread.
- Built-In Warm Rack: Warm your croissants and pastries on this retractable rack that uses the rising heat from the elements to gently cook your food.
- Six Shade Settings: There are six shade settings on the IKICH 4-slice toaster that are fairly accurate which make for a variety of choices of evenly toasted warm bread.
- Three Functions with LED Lights: This simple toaster has defrost, reheat, and mid-cycle cancel buttons which are backlit with striking royal blue LED lights.
- Removable Crumb Tray & Cord Storage: Keep your appliance and kitchen tidy with a removable crumb tray to catch stray pieces of bread while a handy power cable
What’s Not To Like:
- Beware of Low-Flying Toast: The mechanical spring holds so much tension that you’ll often find your toast gets launched out of the appliance when it has finished toasting.
- No Dual Controls: While the long slots are a good thing, there is a downside, there are no dual controls, so all four slices will be toasted to the same doneness.
- The Dial is Difficult to Read: The shade selector dial is black and the shade setting indicator is also black which makes it difficult to see which shade is selected. A simple white mark would have been much more effective.
If you can learn to live with a couple of minor issues that don’t necessarily affect the quality of your toast, you’ll find the IKICH 4-Slice Toaster is, pound for pound, the best value toaster on the market. Decent quality toast, without spending a ton of money.
3. KitchenAid Pro Line 4-Slice Toaster (KMT4203SR)
Things To Love:
- It’s Gorgeous: This 4-slice toaster is easily our favorite looking appliance on our list. The ‘Sugar Pearl’ color is stunning, the curves are sleek, and the backlit function buttons and shade selector slider give this toaster a super-premium look.
- Multi-Functional: With 4 different features this toaster is fairly multifunctional. With a bagel button, an option to cook from frozen, and a ‘little longer’ option (which is basically a rip-off of Breville’s ‘A Bit More’ feature), there’s plenty you can do with this toaster.
- Excellent Control Panel: The control panel on the KitchenAid Pro Line toaster isn’t just pretty, it feels great too. The dual controls allow you to toast bread differently on each side, it’s well laid out and easy to read. A lot of thought went into the control panel and it shows.
- Lift & Lower: This toaster automatically lowers and lifts your bread when you start a cooking cycle without the need to press and levers or handles. It’s pretty sleek.
- Automatic Keep Warm: If you don’t remove your toast after it’s cooked, this appliance senses the weight of the toast and lowers it back down to keep it warm without adding any further doneness.
What’s Not To Like:
- It’s Ridiculously Expensive: You can buy all four of the other toasters on our list for the price of the KitchenAid Pro Line 4-slice toaster. In fact, you could by a mid-range toaster oven, premium air fryer, or any number of versatile small kitchen appliances for a comparable price point.
- Takes Ages To Toast: One of the central complaints from people about this appliance is how long it takes to toast bread and bagels. Oftentimes, even on the highest setting, it takes two or even three cycles to reach the preferred doneness. Avoid this appliance if you like dark toast.
- Massive Footprint: You’ll need either plenty of cupboard space or a permanent place on your countertops for this toaster because it’s massive. Really massive.
Truth be told, this hugely expensive toaster is more of a statement than it is a functional kitchen appliance. If you’ve remodeled your kitchen and you want new appliances to complement its new aesthetic, then this toaster is perfect. It’s super stylish and is a conversation starter, but only suitable as a toaster for folks who aren’t too fussy about their toast.
4. Breville 4-Slice Smart Toaster (BTA840XL)
- The Breville 4-Slice Smart Toaster has 4 extra wide slots allowing you to toast your favorite bread types; Innovative one touch automation lets you add more time to the toasting cycle using "A Bit More" and monitor your progress using "Lift & Look"
- Innovative Features: 'Lift & Look' and 'A Bit More' allow you to check on your toast or add a little extra time without interrupting the toasting cycle; The bagel function ensures even heat for even toasting and unfreeze your favorites using defrost
- Extra Wide 4 Slice Capacity: The toaster features a 4 slice capacity and provides extra wide slots to meet the demands of larger artisanal bread, thick bagels and dense pastries
Things To Love:
- Space-Age Appearance: The Breville 4-slice smart toaster looks superb, and is only narrowly beaten in appearance but the KitchenAid Pro Line toaster. The brushed stainless steel, colorful backlit button, and LED progression indicator all scream premium quality.
- ‘Lift & Look’: This handy feature lets you check on your toast at the push of a button, so you can make sure you never overcook your food.
- ‘A Bit More’: While other brands have started to copy this feature, Breville are the pioneers and inventors of this genius idea that lets you add ‘a bit more’ time to your cooking cycle.
- It’s a Great Toaster: While many toasters have actual toasting issues, this Breville appliance works great on almost everything. Standard bread, thicker slices, bagels, crumpets, you name it.
- Intelligent Toasting: This toaster is a semi-automatic appliance that’ll sense when you’re ready to toast and begin the process for you. It’s probably not the right appliance for people who are wary of modern technology.
What’s Not To Like:
- It’s a Little Spendy: Ok, the price point of the Breville Smart toaster is nowhere near the astronomical cost of the KitchenAid toaster, but it’s still relatively expensive and more than most people would consider spending on a toaster.
- Modern Technology Often Fails: Because Breville incorporates smart technology and automatic functions into this appliance, that technology is known to fail on occasion. And while the classic ‘turn it off and switch it back on’ often rectifies the situation, that doesn’t always work. Leaving you to deal with Breville’s poor customer service department.
If you love gadgets and gizmo, innovation creativity, then the Breville 4-Slice Smart toaster could be right up your street. This pricey appliance looks excellent, performs fantastically well, and is the birthplace of most new toaster features. Truly a toaster for technology lovers.
5. Elite Gourmet Maxi-Matic 4-Slice Toaster (ECT-3100)
- EXTRA WIDE TOASTING SLOTS to fit extra thick slices of bread products such as Texas Toast, bagels and specialty breads.
- 6 ADJUSTABLE TOASTING LEVELS to select the perfect browning shade for your bread. From slightly warm to dark and crunchy.
- REHEAT WARMING FUNCTION allows you to easily reheat and warm previously toasted breads quickly at a lower temperature without burningv
Things To Love:
- Super Affordable: You could buy approximately ten of these toasters for the price of the KitchenAid Pro Line series toaster.
- Extra-Long & Extra-Wide Slots: The Elite Gourmet Maxi-Matic can incorporate all styles of bread and bagels thanks to its versatile slots.
- Retractable Warming Rack: This flip-up rack lets you rest croissants and pastries above the elements to gentle heat your food.
- Removable Crumb Tray: A tidy crumb tray slots seamlessly under the Elite Gourmet toaster. It fits perfectly and is almost invisible to those who don’t know that it’s there.
What’s Not To Like:
- It Looks & Feels Cheap: This budget toaster looks and feels like it’s a budget toaster. The finish isn’t great and the materials feel flimsy to the touch.
- Toast is Forcefully Ejected: Though the Elite Gourmet toaster isn’t the only appliance with this problem, you still don’t want to find your breakfast has been launched halfway across the kitchen when it’s finished.
- Poorly Placed Levers: The spring-loaded levers for each slot section are at opposite ends of the appliances. While this in itself is not necessarily a problem, the power cord is situated under one of them which is an issue for people who like to place their toasters horizontally, making it hard to reach the far lever.
As the old phrase goes, ‘you get what you pay for’, and this super affordable toaster is a no-frills, relatively basic appliance that gets the job done to an adequate standard. This model toasts well enough (if not a little unevenly), but it’s reliable, cheap, and will make your toast with little issue (as long as you’re around to catch it).
Cuisinart CPT-440 Stainless Steel
- Stainless-steel housing with a motorized lift
- Lcd countdown feature with a blue backlit led function display, Voltage: 120V
- Enhanced bagel toasting with cancel, defrost and reheat options
The Cuisinart CPT-440 4-Slice toaster is an innovative product that does not feature a lever but is completely motorized and automatic, which users find very attractive. It automatically lowers the bread into the toaster when you select your preferred setting and function and automatically lifts it up when it’s ready, emitting an audible alarm to alert you.
Users love this toaster for being user-friendly, with its modern control panel and backlit LCD display that shows the browning setting (up to 7) and also displays a countdown for when the toast will be ready. The toaster also features all the necessary functions such as Bagel, Defrost and Reheat, all housed in a sleek stainless steel body, thought this can be hard to keep clean as it shows fingerprints easily. It’s cool to the touch when in use and quiet, which users appreciate.
One thing to note about this toaster is that it’s quite sizable, while it’s also mentioned in reviews that sometimes the bread can get caught on the toaster lip and get mangled.
We have also reviewed other models of Cuisinart toasters.
Yabano 4 Slice Toaster
- 3 in 1 Toaster - Yabano 4 slice toaster with generally compact design, and defrost, bagel and cancel function all in one.
- 4 Extra Wide Slot Toaster - Yabano stainless steel toaster with four 1.6” extra wide slot, allow you to cook a variety of breads, such as waffle, Muffin, bagel, etc. Meet your daily needs!
- 7 Shade-setting - 4 slicer toaster has 7 shade setting for light to darkness, It would pop up automatically when bread is ready. With high lift lever, you can remove slices of bread easily and to see toasting progress at any time.
The Yabano 4-Slice toaster is a great choice and customers love its sleek stainless steel retro look. It has a compact design but extra wide slots to accommodate all sorts of baked goods from regular bread to bagels and waffles.
Its 7 shade settings and dual independent controls help you make toast exactly the way you like it. It saves time and is very easy to use, something that users really appreciate.
There are Bagel and Defrost functions, as well as warming racks to place on top with which you can warm up delicacies like croissants for an extra special breakfast. The high-lift lever makes the toast easy to remove when it’s done and also helps you check the toasting progress.
Cusibox Toaster 4 Slice
- Dual Independent Control Panels: Less time & money spent, this 4 slots toaster allows you to toast different tastes you love
- 1.5" Extra-Wide Slots: Wide enough with self-centering guides, perfect for thick and thin slices. Simple 4 slice toaster, twice as fast speed, the whole family breakfast just gets easier now
- Evenly Toasted Bread & Bagels: 6 Browning settings with 1650W high power satisfy all your tastes. Easy cleaning removable 2 trays, no-mess 36.5" cord storage in base
The CUSIBOX 4-slice toaster looks great and saves time, according to users. It also comes in three different colors for the sides (black, warm cream, and baby blue) while the front has a stylish stainless steel shiny finish.
Again we find the necessary dual independent controls, as well as extra-wide slots with self-centering guides for accommodating both thick and thin bread slices which users state saves time on those hectic weekday mornings.
There are 6 browning settings and Bagel and Defrost functions with LED indicators. Not to mention a high-lift lever for easy access to your delicious evenly browned toast, though there have been some complaints that the toaster gets hot while in use. Another complaint was that its cord is too short for convenience.
BUYDEEM DT-6B83G 4-Slice Toaster
- Bagel & Muffin Expert - True bagel toasting function, heats up both sides of the bagel initially, then only toasts the cutting side of the bagel. Enjoy your crispy cutting side bagel!
- Extra Wide Slots - 4 wide (1.4'') slots with self-centering guides, perfect for different kinds of slices.
- 7 Toast Shade Settings - 7 browning controls for 5 basic functions with LED indicators. Satisfies all your daily toasting needs.
The BUYDEEM DT-6B83G 4-Slice Toaster is a true favorite among customers. There are many things to love, including its delightful vintage look and unique minty green pastel color.
It has wide slots (though at 1.4” they are a tiny bit less wide from the other toasters on the list) and a specific bagel function that users love. The Bagel function heats up both sides of the bagel and then toasts only the cut side producing perfect results every time. The same thing goes for english muffins.
The toaster also has dual independent controls, Defrost and Reheat functions and LED indicators, as well as 7 browning controls to satisfy all toasting needs, while at the same time being fast and easy to use, according to customers. The only thing they would prefer to be different is its short cord.
CUSINAID 4 Slice Toaster
- Efficient 4-Slice Toaster: 4 Extra wide slots (1.5”width) extend heating surface allows for a wide variety of items to be toasted. With Dual independent control panels, saving time for your busy morning
- 7 Shade Control and Evenly Toasting: 7-Level adjustable brown settings from light to dark to meet everyone's taste, 1400W high power will toast on both sides evenly and get hot fast
- Optional Smart Function: 3 Easy touch buttons allow you to REHEAT, FROST and CANCEL, extremely meet all your daily toast needs. LED indicators let you specify exactly how you want to toasting for bread
The CUSINAID 4-Slice toaster is another option with color details. Its sleek stainless steel front comes in black, blue or red versions that give a pop of color to the toaster that users really appreciate.
It has the expected dual independent control panels and 7 shading settings for adjusting doneness to everyone’s separate tastes, with users mentioning that it’s easy to use and provides even toasting. It heats up fast and has Defrost and Reheat functions, as well as a high-lift lever for easy access.
However, take note that it doesn’t have a Bagel function and some users have mentioned that bagels or wider slices of bread don’t fit well in the slots. Furthermore, it’s probably the only toaster from our list that has symbols and not words on the buttons, that might make it confusing when it’s early and you haven’t had coffee yet. It has also been mentioned in some reviews that the numbers on the dials are too small and difficult to read.
KitchenAid Kmt4115cu 4-Slice Toaster
- 4 Extra-Wide Slots. 1 1/2 inches wide to accommodate whatever you're toasting - bagels, english muffins, thick breads and more
- Bagel and Cancel Buttons
- All-Metal Construction
The KitchenAid Kmt4115cu 4-Slice Toaster has a few unique features compared to the other toasters on the list.
But let’s start with the basics: the color options are similar to the rest of the list, with this toaster being available in brushed stainless steel finish, silver, red, or black on the sides. Users really like its minimal design and quality but are wary of its hefty size that takes up a lot of counter space.
The toaster has a simple look since it only has two buttons, levers and the browning dial. It has dual independent controls and only 5 shading settings, compared to other toasters that usually have 6 or 7. Furthermore, users mention that it runs hot and can easily burn the toast if you select a higher setting, so that’s something to keep in mind. It does produce a sound when the toast is ready, which is a welcome feature for most users.
It only has a Bagel and Cancel function, no Defrost or Reheat like the other toasters. That doesn’t mean you can’t defrost or reheat bread on it, but it might take a bit of guesswork with the dial to get it right.
KitchenAid toaster oven might be a better choice if you love this brand.
Dualit 40415 Stainless Steel, 4-Slice Toaster
- ProHeat system evenly browns bread
- Insulated stainless steel body;High lift mechanism to remove small items easily
- Removable crumb tray; adjustable rear foot. Switch-system controls the degree of browning
This Dualit toaster has love or hate reviews but it’s a very interesting product. It has a long tradition of being handbuilt in the UK and a truly vintage look and solid stainless steel insulated body.
But no buttons, no LED indicators, no fancy screens and automated controls. And it’s the priciest model on our list by a long shot. So why would you invest in it compared to the other shiny modern toasters we reviewed?
Well, mainly because it is a blend or simplicity and elegance with a great look and consistent, reliable results. It’s designed and assembled with durability in mind, with users loving its retro style, sturdy construction, and mentioning that it produces perfect toast without drying out the bread. It also comes in a whopping 20+ color options and styles.
There are accessories sold separately, such as a warming rack and a sandwich cage with a drip tray that lets you make grilled cheese sandwiches right inside the toaster. There is no lever, as such, but an ejector knob that you raise when you’re ready to take the toast out. This means that it will stay warm longer. Take into account that some users complain that the slots are too short and it sometimes toasts unevenly.
You can choose whether you want to use 2 or 4 of the slots, though there are no dual independent controls on this one, while the users who end up not being fans of this toaster mention that the tech is outdated without reason.
Artisan 4 Slice Toaster by Homeart
- STYLISH TOASTER: This everyday toaster is designed with stylish retro details, brushed stainless steel housing, and comes in a variety of colors
- 4 SLICE DESIGN: Made for toasting 4 slices of bread
- PERFECT TOAST: Designed with a self-centering function to ensure your bread and bagels are always perfectly toasted
The Artisan 4-Slice Toaster by Homart has an amazing vintage look that customers really love. It comes in three cool colors, cream, black, and red, to suit any taste and kitchen decor and has excellent style and quality, which is not lost on customers.
The has wide slots, dual controls and 6 shading settings (operated by a vintage-looking dial), as well as all the necessary functions like Bagel, Defrost and Reheat. Most reviewers love the appliance and say that it works perfectly though there have been a few comments about uneven toasting and the appliance getting hot while in use.
Another unique aspect of this toaster is that also has safety protection features such as anti-overheat and anti-leakage protection, something we have not often seen mentioned in other product descriptions and reviews.
Wolf Gourmet 4 Slice Toaster (WGTR104S)
- Extra-wide bread slots fit a variety of bread types, thicknesses, and shapes. After toasting, bread is automatically raised to the ideal height for easy access
- Self-centering bread guides - toast the thinnest to the thickest breads with confidence. Each slice is held perfectly upright and centered to ensure even browning
- Two slide-out crumb trays
The Wolf Gourmet 4 Slice Toaster is a heavy duty toaster with extra wide self-centering slots, dual independent controls, Bagel, Frozen, and Keep Warm settings. The latter is especially appreciated by users. It also comes in 3 accent colors, black, red, and stainless steel. Users mention its consistent results and sturdy construction, though again there are some issues about quality and reliability.