Smeg is an Italian brand that has been producing high-quality cookware since 1948. Smeg is characterized by its philosophy of innovation regarding the technology of their equipment. Their most popular products are retro style, and they offer internal modern technology with the appearance of an appliance made in the ‘50s. Some general characteristics of the brand are:
- Program settings: These toasters allow you to choose among three programs aside from your usual toasting setting. You can set it to defrost, reheat, or select a special setting for when you’re toasting a bagel. This is one of the favorite features of the users as you can toast just one side of your bread, bagel or muffin.
- Wide slots: Of course, you wouldn’t be able to fit a bagel if it weren’t for the wide slots present in all of Smeg’s toasters. You might also get creative and put things like muffins, pancakes, and more in there.
- Pop-up: All of these Smeg toasters cause your bread to pop-up once it’s ready. This can be good, as you won’t have to fish it from inside the toaster and risk getting burned. However, if too much time passes, your toast will get cold. You can always reheat without toasting more with the appropriate setting.
- Slice centering: The slots center themselves according to the width of your bread, bagel or muffin. This way you’ll get an even browning.
- Temperature range: Smeg toasters offer six temperature levels. Furthermore, there’s a mid-level between each setting, meaning that in reality, you have 11 different levels for your toaster.
1. Smeg TSF03 4-slice toaster
The Smeg TSF03 4-slice toaster is a stylish model that can hold up to four slices at a time. It was awarded the Good Design Award, 2018.
Things to love:
- Two independent controls: This energy-efficient toaster allows you to turn on all four slots at once or just two at a time. Furthermore, if not everyone at home likes the toast with the same degree of browning, it’s not a problem. This is something the users love as you can set the two independent controls at different temperatures.
- 2 removable trays: Instead of just one tray, like the TSF01, this toaster comes with two removable stainless steel trays. This is especially practical if you only used two of the slots instead of all four.
- Speed: One of the things users loved about this model is how quickly it toasts. In less than two and a half minutes, your bread will be ready.
What’s not to like?
- Individual toasting: Users have observed that when toasting just one slice, the results become inconsistent, with portions of the toast coming out uneven. However, when toasting more slices it works perfectly.
- Surface temperature: Most of the outer cover of this toaster remains cool during its use. However, the top part, which is metal, gets very hot.
The Smeg TSF03 is an excellent option, especially useful for families. The two independent slots make it highly efficient because it can either save energy or toast two pairs of toast at different temperatures. Furthermore, the two removable trays make it easy to clean. Although not as reliable when toasting only one slice of bread, this is an overall excellent toaster.
Our score: 4.8 out of 5
2. Smeg TFS01 2-slice Toaster
This is one of the most popular Smeg toasters on Amazon. Furthermore, it was awarded the Red Dot Design Award in 2015 for its retro style and smart design.
Things to love:
- Strong material: Don’t let the retro-style fool you. Both the body and the ball lever of this toaster are made out of steel. This is with the purpose of extending the lifespan of your toaster by providing greater durability.
- Removable crumb tray: Made out of stainless steel, cleaning your toaster won’t be a headache. You can remove the crumb tray, clean it, and then put it back in. This way you’ll also avoid having breadcrumbs all over the counter.
What’s not to like?
- Inconsistency: Numerous users have complained about the fact that you don’t know what you’ll get once you put your bread inside the toaster. Despite there being six levels of browning, more often than not one side is more toasted than the other. According to some owners, the toaster also burns the toast sometimes, even at level 1 of browning.
- Surface temperature: Unlike the TSF03, the entire outer area of this toaster gets hot while it’s being used. This might end up in you or one of your family members getting burned if you’re not careful.
- Cord: A common complaint among users is the fact that the cord has a very industrial-looking appearance. This doesn’t match the otherwise stylish look of the toaster.
- Not made for commercial use: This toaster is best for using it at home. According to some users, it tends to burn the toast when it’s used for too many batches of toast consecutively. Therefore, it’s not ideal for commercial use.
Overall, this is a good toaster. This toaster is a very good option if you’re looking to use it at home. Although it’s on the pricier side, there is a 1-year warranty in case of any issues that might come up during that time. Most users love this toast despite the reports of uneven toasting.
Score: 4.6 out of 5
3. Smeg TFS02
This toaster is one of the most unique models on the market.
Things to love
- Unique design: Something that makes this toaster stand out from the rest is its very unique design. Despite there being only two slots, it can fit up to four slices of bread or your favorite bagels. This stylish design is one of the things users love the most.
- Surface temperature: Something users love about this toaster is the fact that the temperature of the outer surface remains cool. This makes it safer for you and your family.
What’s not to like?
- Weight: At a little over 10 pounds, this is one of the heaviest toasters manufactured by Smeg. This might make it inconvenient if you need to move your toaster from one place to another.
- Speed: Some users have complained about the speed of this toaster. This makes it less efficient and not good for busy mornings.
- Inconsistency: Numerous users have complained about the fact that they often get their toast unevenly browned.
- Durability: There are numerous complaints about the durability of this toaster. Some customers have stated that after periods that range from six months to two years, the toaster stops working.
While we appreciate the stylish and unique design of this toaster and the fact that the outer surface doesn’t overheat, there are many negatives to consider. The lack of speed and the constant reports of uneven toasting make it a less attractive option to buy. Furthermore, considering the high price, the lack of durability is worrisome, especially with a 1-year only warranty.
Our score: 3.8 out of 5