Aquacrest Water Filters: 4 products compared
Disclaimer: we may receive commissions from purchases made via our links at no cost to you
The Aquacrest CRF-950Z is designed for PUR’s pitchers and dispensers. Its filtration performance is equal to PUR’s original pitcher filters but it does have a few drawbacks which we’ve highlighted below.
Aquacrest is amongst a handful of popular brands that mainly make generic/aftermarket water filters. The company has a wide range of filters that include refrigerator water filters, faucet filters, under sink water filters, and water pitcher and dispenser filter replacements.
Their filters are all certified by the NSF/ANSI and perform just as good as the original brand filters. In the below reviews, we’ll outline a few of them that seem to do so well on the market.
1. Aquacrest CRF-950Z Pitcher
- NSF certified: AQUACREST filter is NSF 372 certified and endorsed as a proficient lead-free material. It has also been certified against NSF 42 standards to ensure absolute reduction of 96.5% of chlorine, bad taste, and odors.
- Multistage filtration: AQUACREST filter is expertly built with multistage filtration technology, using a pre-filter layer with natural coconut shell activated carbon and high-quality ion-exchange resin to ensure maximum filtration and cleaner water possible.
- Highly efficient filtration technology: Apart from basic filtrations, AQUACREST filter cartridge excellently reduces chlorine, mercury, rust, sediment, heavy metals and suspended particles. It has also been tested and confirmed for eliminating unpleasant color and odors that are detrimental to human health.
- Removes chlorine and sediments very well
- Compatible with most PUR pitchers and dispensers
- Sturdy filter housing made of a durable plastic
- Easy to install
- Not ideal for use on well water or highly contaminated water
- Has a short lifespan hence requiring frequent replacement
- Needs a bit more prep work to get rid of charcoal specs
The CRF-950Z is tested and certified against NSF/ANSI standard 42. It’s also NSF 372 certified which means that the materials used in making it are lead-free and safe.
It utilizes a combination of three filtration media which include a pre-filter layer, coconut activated carbon media (GAC), and ion exchange resin. It’s a fairly reliable replacement filter for cleaning municipal water.
The pre-filter layer gets rid of most of the sand, rust, scale, and other large and small sediments that are present in the water. The activated carbon media plus the ion exchange resin do clear out at least 96.5% of chlorine and are also able to reduce the lead levels in the water.
However, there were mixed reactions with regards to the taste of the resulting filtered water. Some users mentioned that it tastes great while others reported that it doesn’t taste as fresh and clean as the original PUR filter.
Capacity and Installation
There are three filters in the pack and each has a filtration capacity of 60 gallons. That’s similar to 2 months lifespan or 6 months for all three which is quite short. They may not even last that long because we found lots of complaints that they clog quickly – they work fine for around 3 weeks then get clogged such that water won’t go through them.
Installation is easy though and they are compatible with almost all of PUR’s pitcher and dispenser models. Aquacrest has also included a lockfit top cap in their design to ensure a leak-free filtration process.
However, they appear not to fit properly in some of the models – several users claimed that the housings are slightly smaller in diameter than the PUR filter which causes them not to fit tightly hence leading to leaking of unfiltered water into the filtered water chamber.
Another issue is that they need a bit more prep work before you can use them – you have to soak them for about 15 minutes and rinse them multiple times before use, otherwise, the water comes out grayish/black with lots of charcoal specs in it.
Should you buy the Aquacrest CRF-950Z?
If you have a PUR water filter pitcher or dispenser, then you can consider it. However, you need to make sure to check that your unit is listed amongst the compatible models to avoid leaks.
2. Aquacrest Refrigerator Water Filter
- What you get in this AQUACREST refrigerator water filter is an excellent prior filtration performance that stands on par with what you get from the original brand, backed by the standard NSF 42 and 372 certifications. Unlike the generic brands, our refrigerator water filter relies on the 100% superior coconut shell carbon block to get rid of different types of impurities from your water.
- Excellent filtration beyond your mind: AQUACREST water filters can reduce such a wide range of harmful substances at a go including suspended particles, chlorine, taste and odor from your drinking water. An independent third-party laboratory has verified this claim.
- 100% fit: The precise production technology adopted by AQUACREST in this refrigerator water filter means you get a perfect fit, just like the original scale. Besides, AQUACREST ensures that this DIY process will not take you more than a few minutes.
Aquacrest offers several generic refrigerator filters for different brands such as Samsung, Whirlpool, GE, and KITCHENAID. They include the AQF-DA29-00003G and AQF-00020B-P3 models which are designed for Samsung refrigerators (both French Door and side-by-side models).
The AQF-4396508 is another option and this is designed for Whirlpool refrigerators as well as a few select models of KITCHENAID refrigerators. There’s also the AQF-GXRTDR which is an exact replacement filter for GE GXRTDR refrigerator ice-maker water filter. It’s compatible too with Samsung DA29-10105J and a couple of Whirlpool in-line refrigerator water filters.
All these filters utilize the same filtration media which does a great job with regards to providing clean and refreshing water. Almost all the users were pleased with the quality of the filtered water they produce. The key difference between them is the size and the connection parts.
- Effective at removing chlorine (taste and odor)
- Decent filter life of 6 months (or 300 gallons)
- Sturdily built, doesn’t leak and they are easy to install
- Compatible with many different refrigerator models
- Not suitable for filtering highly contaminated water
- Requires priming to remove fine charcoal debris
These Aquacrest generic refrigerator filters work just as good as the original brand filters. They all have NSF 372 certification for lead-free compliance and are equally certified against NSF standard 42.
They use a 0.5-micron coconut carbon block filtration media that removes up to 97% of chlorine in the water as well as other contaminants while retaining the beneficial minerals.
They significantly improve the unpleasant water tastes and odors that are common in municipal water and also clear out suspended solids which help to protect the fridge from sediment build-up. Users claimed the filtered water is always crystal clear, tastes good, and is completely odorless (no icky chlorine smell or taste in both the water and ice).
Capacity and Installation
Each of the Aquacrest refrigerator filters comes as a pack that features 3 filters where each has a filtration capacity of 300 gallons. That’s a lifespan of about 6 months which is pretty decent because a pack will last you 18 months before you can get another one and the filters don’t clog quickly, so each can last the full 6 month period.
The connection parts are also identical to the original brand filters hence many found the installation to be a breeze – you just push the filter up and then turn it clockwise to screw it right in place. There are no reports of leaks or reduction in the flow of water for any of the filters either – they have gaskets and are equipped with a protective cap that actually works, unlike the lockfit top cap of the CRF-950 pitcher filters.
They do need priming though before installation which may take a bit of time to do. You have to run lots of water through them to get rid of the fine charcoal debris and to remove all the air out.
Should you buy the Aquacrest refrigerator water filter?
These are a great deal if you have their specified refrigerator model and already have fairly clean water. They will remove all the chlorine taste and odor from the water.
3. Aquacrest 3US-PF01 Under Sink Water Filter
- 【High-efficiency filtration】Uses premium coconut carbon block to reduce 98% of chlorine. It has also been tested to reduce heavy metals, taste and odor, sediment, rust and so on. The high-efficiency filtration is dedicated to providing you with an excellent water experience.
- 【Safe material】Uses food-grade plastic housing and will not leach contaminants back into your water. It can also prevent bursting to bring you a satisfying and safe experience. Specially selected premium materials are lead-free, which is fully certified by the WQA against NSF 372 standard.
- 【Stable flow rate】Provides you with stable filtered water without obvious pressure drops. The filtration is efficient enough to provide you with the best drinking experience.
The Aquacrest 3US-PF01 is a quality under sink water filter that provides the same filtration performance as any other top 3M brand filter. It’s able to efficiently clear out a good number of common contaminants found in municipal water and delivers a fast water flow that users were really pleased with.
- Gets rid of chlorine and heavy metals
- Decent filter lifespan (6 months or 2000 gallons)
- Water flow is fast and remains stable throughout
- It’s simple to install requiring no tools
- It’s only suitable for use on municipal water
- Requires priming to clear out carbon specs
- May not fit some 3M filter mounting brackets
The filtration performance of the Aquacrest 3US-PF01 is at par with original 3M brand filters. It features a quality coconut carbon block filtration media that gets rid of up to 98% of chlorine and bad taste and odor from other common chemical contaminants. It does reduce heavy metals too and it’s able to capture sediments such as rust and silt.
The filtered water is always clear and tastes great. The housing for the filters is made up of a food-grade plastic material and is well sealed hence no contaminants will be getting back into the water once they have been removed. The unit is also fully certified by the WQA for the NSF 372 standard, so there’s no leaching of lead into the water.
Capacity and Installation
This filter can process up to 2,000 gallons of water which is quite a high filtration capacity compared to similar filters. However, that does nothing to its lifespan because it can only last for 6 months after which you have to change it.
The advantage it has though is that it doesn’t affect the water pressure like other generic filters. Users mentioned that the water flow is fast and remains stable throughout the filter’s lifespan.
You won’t have any challenges installing it either. It requires no tools – just a quick turn and you are done. The whole unit is well sealed and connects tightly, so there’s no leaking of water.
It’s compatible with Filtrete 3US-PF01 and can fit other 3M filter mechanisms/ mounting brackets but not all of them as there were a few complaints that it’s slightly longer than some 3M filters. Like the rest of Aquacrest filters, this too will require a couple of minutes of priming before or after installing it to clean out carbon powder.
Should you buy the Aquacrest 3US-PF01?
If you have been using an under sink filtration system with 3M brand filter, then it’s worth considering provided though that you ensure it will be able to fit in properly.
4.Aquacrest AQU-RF-9999 Faucet Water Filter
- ⭐ Note: AQUACREST RF-9999 filter with stronger water flow meets the requirements of both high efficiency and rapid filtration. If turbidity appears in the filtered water at the beginning, please flush the filter for about 3 minutes to release bubbles before using.⭐
- 💧 【NSF certifications】Tested and certified by NSF International against NSF/ANSI standard 42 for the reduction of chlorine, taste and odor, and to NSF/ANSI 372 for lead-free material. For detailed NSF certification information: Visit the NSF official website, type "AQU-RF-9999" into "Brand name/ Trade name/ Model" bar and click the "Search" button.
- 💧 【High-efficiency filtration】AQUACREST faucet water filter uses premium natural coconut activated carbon block with a reduction rate of chlorine up to 97.2%. It is also tested to reduce heavy metals, lead, taste and odor, sediment, rust and so on. The efficient filtration is dedicated to provide you with an excellent water experience.
The Aquacrest AQU-RF-9999 is a replacement filter for PUR’s faucet filters and although it looks slightly different, its performance is just as good as the original.
- Removes all the chlorine taste and odor
- It’s able to reduce some heavy metals like lead
- Water flow is faster than the original PUR filter
- Well built and doesn’t leak water
- There’s no dripping after shut off
- Simple to install and fits most PUR faucet water filters
- Doesn’t clear out fine particles very well
- The filters have a short lifespan of only 3 months
The AQU-RF-9999 is an efficient filter, especially for removing chlorine taste and odor. It uses an activated coconut carbon block filtration media which gets rid of 99% of chlorine.
That’s the highest removal rate on this list and it means all the odor and foul taste get completely cleared out – the majority of users did confirm that the filtered water has the same great taste as when using the original PUR filter.
The unit can also reduce heavy metals like lead and sediments, but only large sediments because it appears not to capture fine particles so well as there were several reports that the filtered water tends to have floating particles in it.
Capacity and Installation
Each filter in this AQU-RF-9999 pack can process up to 100 gallons which is equal to a service life of 3 months. It’s a short lifespan but the pack includes three filters hence they will be able to meet your filtered water demand for 9 months before getting another pack.
The other advantage is that water flow is much better than the original PUR filter. There are no rubber gaskets both at the top and the bottom hence water flows through the filters very quickly, almost like normal tap water which many appreciate since it doesn’t take too long to get the filtered water. Plus, there’s no dripping after shut off like is the case with the PUR filter.
Installing these Aquacrest AQU-RF-9999 filters is relatively simple too but the lack of gaskets makes their design slightly different from that of the PUR filter, especially on the bottom part of the cartridge. They do fit well although some claimed they had difficulty seating the cartridge properly.
In terms of compatibility, they can work with most of PUR’s faucet water filter units including the PUR classic and the advanced and horizontal models.
Should you buy the Aquacrest AQU-RF-9999?
This is a good option to consider if you have a PUR faucet water filter unit and you’re looking for an alternative aftermarket filter. All three filters function well just like the original PUR filter and they do a great job of eliminating chlorine in the water.