Best filter water bottle: 6 products compared
Disclaimer: we may receive commissions from purchases made via our links at no cost to you
The GRAYL Ultralight water filter bottle is our top pick for the best overall water filter bottle due to the fact that it’s a versatile and effective water filtration system.
It removes the standard bacteria and protozoa and further clears out viruses, heavy metals, organic chemicals, sediments, and even microplastics. It’s also quick and convenient to use.
This is our pick for the best value water bottle because it features a robust 4-stage filtration system that removes a wide range of contaminants and comes at an affordable price. It offers a decent filtration capacity too and it’s made using a strong plastic material that’s quite durable.
Filter water bottles provide a convenient and environmentally-safe way of getting clean, fresh, and safe drinking water while traveling, hiking, or engaging in any other outdoor activity in areas that lack plenty of clean water.
In this post, we’ll explore 6 of the top filter water bottles available on the market and outline their advantages as well as some of the flaws that users pointed out. Read on for more details.
1. GRAYL Ultralight
- Ideal for global traveling, outdoor adventures, emergency preparedness, hiking, backpacking, camping, fishing, survival
- Fast and easy-to-use, simply Fill. Press. Drink. No sucking, squeezing, pumping, prolonged waiting, ultraviolet bulbs, or batteries
- Award winning [ONE PRESS] design makes clean, purified drinking water in only 15 seconds from virtually any fresh water source in the world
- Dimensions: 9.8 (T) x 2.9 (D) inches
- Weight: 10.9 oz (309 g)
- Filtration capacity: 40 gallons (150 liters)
- Holding capacity: 16 ounces
- Flow rate: 2 L/min
- Filtration method: non-woven ceramic fiber, electro-adhesion, and activated carbon
- Pore size: n/a
- Material: polypropylene #5
- Colors: coyote amber, camo black, alpine white
- Warranty: 10 years
Things to Like
- Highly effective at removing waterborne pathogens – the GRAYL’s G3+ filtration media utilizes electroadhesion to effectively remove all pathogens in the water including viruses (99.99%), bacteria (99.99%), and protozoan cysts (99.99%). The media includes antimicrobial agents (silver treated zeolites) that prevent the growth of mildew, molds, and even bacteria within the filter unit.
- Filters out heavy metals, chemicals, and particulates – activated carbon has been incorporated in the media too and it efficiently clears out many chemicals (eg. chlorine, benzene, pesticides) and heavy metals like arsenic and lead (99%). There are also two layers of ceramic fiber (non-woven) that help filter out particulate (e.g silt, debris, rust).
- Fast flow rate – the whole filtration process takes only about 15 seconds since the water flows freely while contaminants get filtered out. The electro-adsorption media act as little magnets that bind onto impurities hence there are no barriers to the movement of the water which results in a faster flow rate, much faster than a pump.
- Fairly easy to use – the GRAYL Ultralight bottle is quite simple to use. You just fill it up with unfiltered water, insert the inner part/bottle containing the filter, and then push it down through the water to filter it. It’s a fairly simple and fast process, and there are rubber o-rings at the bottom to keep the bottle stable.
- Pours easily and doesn’t leak – there is no mess when drinking from this bottle either. Water pours nicely without dripping down the sides. The inner bottle also has a tall lip that prevents your mouth from getting into contact with the outer bottle containing unfiltered water. There are o-rings too on the bottom part of the inner chamber which creates a very tight seal with the outer chamber to prevent leaks.
- Keeps water cool a little longer – the two-chamber design of the GRAYL provides additional insulation that helps keep the water cold (very cool) for hours. It’s like a plastic cup placed inside another plastic cup which creates a vacuum between them that provides some level of insulation to the filtered water.
- Compact and simple to carry – with regards to size, the bottle is pretty compact, it’s similar to a regular water bottle. It can fit neatly into any small or average-sized backpack side mesh pocket. It features a clippable loop too, so you can attach it to your backpack for hands-free carrying.
- Durable – the overall quality of the GRAYL is great. It’s made using a tough BPA-free plastic material that’s fairly sturdy and can withstand harsh outdoor conditions. It can take several droppings without an issue and cleaning it is easy too.
What not to like?
- Short filter lifespan – the filter can only process up to 40 gallons of water. That’s the same as a lifespan of 2 to 3 months, so you’ll be replacing it often.
- Less holding capacity – the inner container is able to hold just 16 ounces of filtered water which is on the low end and means you’ll need to carry another bottle with a larger capacity or always count on the next source of water being reasonably close by.
- Takes some effort to operate – pushing down the inner container with the filter requires a bit of physical effort which can be tough if you’re not very strong. You have to do multiple presses to fill it up, which some users reported that it can start hurting your hands when you do it repeatedly several times.
- Heavier than most similar filter water bottles – at 10.9 ounces, the GRAYL Ultralight is significantly heavy and it’s even heavier (around 2 lbs) when fully filled with water which makes it cumbersome if you are a light traveler or hiker.
- Not suitable for use in sub-zero temperatures – the filter of the GRAYL can withstand freezing once or twice, however, if left in the freezer or used in freezing conditions for long hours, it gets damaged making the whole bottle useless.
If you are looking for a filter water bottle that can remove almost every waterborne contaminant, then this would be an ideal choice. It’s an all-in-one filter solution suitable for all types of outdoor adventures from hiking to fishing to basically traveling around the world. This is the best water filter on the list.
Overall score: 17/20
- 【Advanced Purification System 】： Survimate purifier water bottles have 4 advanced high-performance purify installed, they are: Medical Grade Hollow Fiber Membrane, Coconut Shell Activated Carbon, Beads and Medical Grade PP Cotton.
- 【Safe Like Baby Bottle】：Survimate Bottles are made from Food Grade Tritan Copolyester, without any bad smell, it's BPA-free, heat resisting and extremely durable.
- 【Long Lifespan & Replaceable 】：No need to worry about replacing filters for up to 1500L/year of continuous usage. Replaceable filters save you money as the water bottles themselves have a very long life. (According to different water quality, the lifespan of the filter would be a little different.)
- Dimensions: 9.4(T) x 3.1 (D) inches
- Weight: 190 g
- Filtration capacity: 400 gallons (1,500 liters)
- Holding capacity: 22 ounces (650ml)
- Flow rate: 550ml/min
- Filtration method: hollow fiber UF membrane, activated carbon filter (coconut shell), antibacterial beads, medical-grade PP cotton
- Pore size: 0.01 microns
- Material: BPA Free ABS, PP, PE
- Colors: available in 8 different colors
- Warranty: 1 year
Things to Like
- Eliminates many different kinds of contaminants – the four-stage filtration process of this Survimate water bottle is very effective and gets rid of microbial contaminants (viruses, bacteria, and protozoa), heavy metals, microplastics, and harmful chemicals like chlorine and pesticides. The filtered water is crystal clear with no foul smell at all.
- Decent filtration capacity – the filter wears out after processing at most 1,500 liters, so it can last for around 8 o 12 months before it requires replacement which is a respectable lifespan and better than most other filter water bottles.
- Sturdy and durable – the bottle is made using hard, BPA-free plastic. It’s sturdy and durable, capable of surviving the rough outdoor conditions – it can endure both freezing and hot temperatures.
- Easy to carry and clean – users attested that the bottle is ergonomically designed. It’s comfortable to hold and fits well in small hands without feeling overwhelming making it easy to carry around. It comes with a carabiner clip too which is a convenient addition that allows you to hang it anywhere or even attach it to your belt.
- Built-in compass – you get extra features with this Survimate bottle like the built-in compass on the top which is helpful in assisting you to navigate on your trip or find direction easily. Cleaning it doesn’t present much challenge either as it has a wide mouth that makes washing its interior part easy.
What not to like?
- Initial plastic aftertaste – many users reported that the water doesn’t taste great the first couple of days although it’s very clean. It leaves a slight plastic aftertaste which eventually disappears with a few days of use.
- Takes some effort to get the filtered water – you have to suck/sip to draw the water up through the filtration media which requires some effort because you have to suck 5-8 times just to get sufficient clean water to swallow. It can be even more challenging/hard if you’ve got a weak lung.
- The holding capacity is a bit small – the holding capacity is 22 ounces which is just slightly larger than the 16 ounces of the GRAYL bottle above but it’s still on the low end which means you’ll have to bring along an additional bottle to carry away extra water.
- Tends to leak – there’s a little gasket on the lid that pops out easily and can get lost hence ending up causing the bottle to leak. A silicone cap is also provided for the straw to help with keeping the dirt out, but it gets loose too causing the straw to leak water.
- A little heavy – several users found the bottle a bit heavy when filled with water hence might be cumbersome to carry during long hikes or treks.
The Survimate filter water bottle is a suitable option if you are a traveler or adventurer and want a reliable filter water bottle for short outdoor activities or traveling in areas with sufficient sources of water. The compass makes it even more suited for adventurers although drawing water from it will require some little effort.
OVerall score: 16.5/20
3. LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
- Dimensions: 9.25(T) x 3.54 (D) inches
- Weight: 221 g
- Filtration capacity: 1,000 gallons (4,000 liters)
- Holding capacity: 34 ounces (1 liter)
- Flow rate: n/a
- Filtration method: hollow fiber UF membrane and activated carbon filter
- Pore size: 0.2 microns
- Material: BPA Free plastic
- Colors: available in 16 different colors
- Warranty: 1 year
Things to Like
- Effective at filtering waterborne pathogens – the hollow fiber membrane in the 2-stage filtration process of the LifeStraw Go does a great job in eliminating microbial contaminants. It is able to remove 99.99% of all bacteria and protozoan parasites in the water. It removes turbidity and microplastics (99.99%) too.
- Improves the taste of the water significantly – the filter also features activated carbon capsules which effectively remove chlorine taste and odor, and most of the organic chemicals present in the water such as pesticides and herbicides. The filtered water tastes great and has no bad odor.
- Long filter lifespan – the hollow membrane can filter up to 1,000 gallons (4,000 liters) of water before needing replacement. It’s a large capacity that could last 2-3 years. The same can’t be said for the activated carbon filter though – it can process only up to 26 gallons (100 liters) hence, you’ll be replacing it frequently (after every 2-3 months).
- Large holding capacity – this bottle is capable of holding 1 liter of water which is more than the other bottles on this list – it’s quite sufficient for relatively long hikes. It’s also available in a 22-ounce capacity in case you need a small bottle.
- Durable and easy to carry – the plastic material used to make the LifeStraw Go is BPA-free and pretty strong. It can take several knocks and droppings without getting damaged or breaking. A carabiner is equally included to simplify carrying it around.
What not to like?
- Doesn’t remove viruses and heavy metals – the biggest downside of this bottle is that it doesn’t filter out viruses, so it’s not a suitable option if virus protection is a big deal. It also doesn’t get rid of heavy metals like lead and arsenic. Plus, there were those that complained that the filtered water sometimes has tiny particles which means it doesn’t efficiently remove sediments either.
- It’s hard to draw water through the filter – several users complained that it’s difficult to suck filtered water out of the bottle. The flow rate is slow and it uses a straw design which requires sucking through the filter to get clean water which takes some effort. Plus, you can’t use it with groups because you have to suck to get the water.
- It tends to leak – there’s a vent hole on the top of the bottle where water spills from if the bottle is turned upside down or tilted as you drink. It’s a serious issue because it can leak the unfiltered water all over the silicone mouthpiece that goes in your mouth hence putting you at risk of getting waterborne pathogens in your mouth.
- Can’t withstand freezing conditions – you can’t put this bottle into a freezer or use it in freezing conditions as the filter will get damaged
If you want a filter water bottle for removing only common biological and chemical contaminants, then the LifeStraw is worth checking out. However, if you are after heavy metal removal or viral filtration, the other two bottles might be the best choice.
Overall score: 14/20
4. Brita Plastic Water Filter Bottle
- The BPA-free Brita Premium Filtering Bottle holds 26 oz of water, and is designed with a Brita filter that fits in the straw and makes water taste great
- Get great tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1,800 single-use plastic water bottles* a year
- It’s the convenient way to stay hydrated at home or on the go; sleek, leak-proof filtered water bottle is car cup holder friendly, and features a built-in carrying loop, easy open lid and is top rack dishwasher safe for easy cleaning; Height 10.5"; Diameter 3"; Weight .5 pounds
- Clears out chlorine taste and odor
- Decent holding capacity of 26 ounces
- Made using hard, durable, BPA-free plastic
- Simple to use and doesn’t leak when flipped upside down
- It’s easy to clean and you can put it in the dishwasher
- Attractive design and it’s available in 5 different colors
- Filters out only chlorine taste and odor
- Requires effort to draw water through the filter
- Can’t be used with groups
- The filter requires frequent replacement
About the Product
This Brita filter bottle is equipped with only one filtration stage which utilizes carbon media. It’s designed for use on municipal water as it’s able to only filter out chlorine taste and odor in drinking water which it does so effectively. Users attested that the water tastes good and has no bad smell although some mentioned that the first few sips contain a carbon taste.
While it’s equipped with an easy-sip spout to simplify drinking, it requires much suction to draw the water up the straw for filtering and drinking which users didn’t like. Moreover, like the other bottles with the straw design, you can’t use this with groups since sucking the water through the straw is the only way to get filtered water.
The other downside is that the filter has a short lifespan. It can process just up to 40 gallons of water which is similar to a service life of 2 months or less.
The good thing is that the holding capacity is moderate (26 oz), and you can flip the bottle or put it inside the backpack without worrying about water leaking or spilling – it’s equipped with a leak-proof lid that seals the mouthpiece tight to prevent drips and spills. It also helps keep the mouthpiece from being exposed to germs and opens easily with a push of a button.
Carrying this Brita bottle is simple too as it has soft sides and features a built-in carry loop that makes it easy to hold it and carry it around with you. It has a slender profile as well that allows it to fit neatly in a car cup holder and there are no surprise drips or spills due to the leak-proof lid.
In terms of durability, the bottle is made using a sturdy, BPA-free plastic material hence it can last for long with regular use. Cleaning it is easy too because it has a relatively wide opening and it’s dishwasher safe hence no need to fret about gunk accumulating in hard-to-clean areas.
Generally, if you are after a filter water bottle for filtering tap water or for use at home or the office, this would be a nice option because it can only remove chlorine and improve the odor and taste of the water.
Overall score: 13/20
5. Epic Nalgene OG Water Filter Bottle
- ✅ FILTERED WATER BOTTLE (LEAD WATER FILTER): This Nalgene water bottle with filter uses depth & adsorption filtration to be the perfect water purifier. Adsorption removes particulates via the activated coconut carbon fiber mesh surface areas, which adsorbs contaminants such as cysts, heavy metals, chemicals & pharmaceuticals. Depth filtration (6mm thick) involves the removal of suspended waste products as they try to pass through the millions of layers of coconut carbon fiber block.
- ♻️ NO MORE EXPENSIVE SINGLE USE PLASTIC WATER BOTTLES: This water bottle with filter for tap water saves the Earth over 550 plastic single use water bottles. This USA made eco-friendly organic coconut shell based carbon fiber mesh filter is an environmentally friendly filter that is tested by 3rd party labs. Rigorously tested against NSF/ANSI 42, 53, 401, & P473 (NSF 53 Water Filter), this personal water filter will have you drinking clearly filtered water from a BPA free water bottle.
- ✅ REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE: At Epic Water Filters, we believe in building products that never become obsolete. When you invest in our filtered water bottle, you get a modular system designed to perform for years to come. Whether you are using your water bottle with filter for tap water or you need a filtered water bottle for travel abroad, the interchangeable filter system has you covered. Searching for travel necessities, this portable water filter is the perfect travel water bottle.
- Clears out many different contaminants
- Decent holding capacity of around 26 ounces
- Made using robust and durable plastic material
- Available in different colors and sizes
- The filter has a short lifespan
- Difficult to suck water through the filter
- Leaves about 2 ounces of water on the bottom
- A bit tricky to carry by hand during long hikes
About the Product
The Epic Nalgene OG utilizes a multistage filtration process that features millions of layers of activated coconut carbon fiber that efficiently eliminates many different kinds of contaminants. It makes use of depth (6mm deep) and adsorption filtration to get rid of bacteria, viruses, cysts, and heavy metals.
The filter is equally able to clear out fluoride, chlorine, pharmaceuticals, and many other organic and inorganic chemicals. However, its filtration capacity (75 gallons) is not that large. You will have to replace it every 3-4 months or less if you use it quite often.
The holding capacity is slightly large though, at 32 ounces, but the filter does take up lots of space, so you may be left with about 26 ounces of space for the water.
With regards to using it, you have to suck the water through the filter since it features a straw mechanism which many found difficult compared to other brands because of the many layers that the water has to go through to get to your mouth.
Moreover, not all the water is sucked out from the bottle – there’s always about 2 ounces of water that remains on the bottom and you can’t tilt the bottle to get it as it may end up spilling and contaminating the mouthpiece.
Carrying it a bit tricky too because it comes with only a strap which holds the cap on. Unlike a carabiner, it doesn’t allow you to hook the bottle to the belt and only a few fingers can go through it when holding it, so it’s not comfortable to carry by hand, especially on long hikes.
That said, the bottle does have robust construction. It’s made using a thick plastic material (BPA and BPS free), and you can feel the quality when holding it. It’s sturdy and durable.
Overall, the Epic Nalgene OG would be a good fit for those that want a filter water bottle that has a slightly larger holding capacity and it’s also capable of removing waterborne pathogens as well as several other different kinds of contaminants.
Overall score: 16/20
6. Invigorated pH ACTIVE Alkaline Water Filter Bottle
- NO MORE PLASTIC - with the brand new pH ACTIVE Insulated Stainless Steel Alkaline Water Filter Bottle by Invigorated Water. Ergonomic & Stylish design, including 2 lid options.
- pH ACTIVE DELIVERS HIGH pH ALKALINE WATER, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME so you’ll have filtered water at the office, gym, while traveling, shopping, hiking, playing sports, & on holiday. Helping you & your loved ones stay healthy, happy & INVIGORATED.
- INCLUDES MULTI-STAGE ‘pH ON-THE-GO’ ALKALINE WATER FILTER (search B076H1MXP5) - increasing water pH and -ORP, improving taste and smell, adding minerals including zinc, magnesium, selenium & iron, eliminating heavy metals like mercury, copper & lead, greatly reduce fluoride, chlorine & chloramine.
- Raises the pH level of the water and adds back healthy minerals
- Removes heavy metals, fluoride, and other common chemicals
- Maintains the temperature of its content for long hours
- Highly durable and easy to carry around
- Available in different capacities and finishes
- The filter pouch needs changing every month
- The holding capacity is a bit small
- Difficult to remove the filter pouch out of the bottle
About the Product
This Invigorated filter water bottle is designed purposely for improving the taste and pH of the water. It comes with a filter pouch that contains mineral stones and zeolite (100% natural crystal) which together add back healthy minerals such as magnesium, zinc, selenium, and iron into the water to change its alkalinity levels.
Many did attest that the pH level increases to about 8-9, and the filtered water tastes much better. Others, however, claimed that the filter doesn’t do anything and that there was no noticeable change in the taste of the water.
That said, besides re-mineralizing the water, the zeolite in the filter pouch is also able to effectively remove most of the heavy metals, fluoride, chlorine, and chloramines in the water.
The lifespan of the filter pouch is short though as it processes just 16 gallons of water before becoming ineffective – you’ll have to replace it every month to continue getting alkaline water.
The holding capacity is 22 ounces but considering that the filter pouch goes into the bottle, it’s a little lower than that, at around 20 ounces which is not much if you usually drink a lot of water.
The advantage is that the bottle is double-walled to provide vacuum insulation, hence it can maintain the temperature of its content for a long time. Users mentioned that it can keep cold water cold for more than 24 hours and hot water hot for more than 12 hours.
Due to the double-wall construction, the pH ACTIVE is very sturdy, plus it’s made using stainless steel, so it’s equally highly durable. It’s quite tall too compared to the others, but carrying it isn’t challenging since it has a strong carry loop that’s comfortable to hold with all the fingers.
You get two lid options with this bottle as well, a bamboo lid with a steel handle and a bonus sports lid with a straw. The suction of the straw is not that smooth, but it does work well. The lid also leaks if the bottle tips over because of a small gap at the point where the straw folds down.
There were many complaints too that it’s really difficult to pull the filter pouch out of the bottle once water is in it since all the beads tend to collect at one end. There’s no easy way to remove it and sometimes the bag can rip and drop the beads if you use a lot of force.
In general, if you want a filter water bottle that can give you alkaline water that tastes better and is rich in healthy minerals, then this is a decent option you can consider.
Overall score: 15/20