Best water filter pitcher: 6 filters compared
Disclaimer: we may receive commissions from purchases made via our links at no cost to you
This is the best overall choice because it offers great filtration performance, great quality, and has an impressive filtration capacity. It’s able to remove over 90% of more than 200 different contaminants. Other benefits include a digital filter-change reminder, a fairly large holding capacity, and a low profile that doesn’t take up too much room in the fridge or on the counter. est overall pick.
The PUR PPT111W is the most affordable water filter pitcher on the list but it does perform well at filtering water. It removes a significant amount of contaminants like chlorine, copper, mercury, cadmium, cysts, and sediments such as dirt and debris.
It offers an 11-cup holding capacity, filters water quickly, and comes with a digital countdown. It’s also easy to dismantle and has a comfortable grip handle that makes holding it easy.
A water filter pitcher is perhaps the simplest and more cost-effective way to have clean drinking water at home. Unlike the other filtration systems, they are easy to use, completely portable, and require minimal maintenance. They don’t necessitate any changes to the plumbing system.
Although most are visually similar, their features and quality tend to vary between different brands. Below we’ve shared 6 of our top picks which you can look at if you are in search of the best water filter pitcher.
1. Epic Pure EW-WFP TAP
- Filtered water pitcher for refrigerator: This large water filtration pitcher for refrigerator is easy to pour and refill. This space efficient gravity water filter system jug fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves and is great for families. H 10"; W 6"; L 10"; Weight: 2 lbs. This solid carbon block water purifier pitcher with filter will keep your family drinking clearly filtered water for years to come. Rigorously tested against NSF/ANSI standards 42, 53, 401, and P473 (NSF 53 Water Filter)
- Fluoride water filters: Proprietary formulated carbon block water filter to remove fluoride. Designed and tested to remove chlorine. Lead Water Filter: 6mm thick carbon block removes lead. PFAS Water Filter: Designed and tested to remove the Forever Chemical PFOA PFOS PFC. 1,4-Dioxane Water Filter: Recently tested for the removal of 1,4-Dioxane in drinking water. Haloacetic Acids (HAAs) Water Filter: Recently tested for the removal of Haloacetic acids.
- Tap water filter: Proprietary solid carbon block filter removes 2000% more contaminants than the leading water filter pitcher including Total Trihalomethanes, Chromium 6, Fluoride, Chloramines, Bromodichloromethane and much more. 6mm thick solid carbon block water filters protect you and your family from contaminants that other filters miss. Smart filter media keeps healthy trace minerals like calcium and magnesium in your water, which a reverse osmosis system will strip out.
- Dimensions: 5.5 x 10.5 x 10.5 inches
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Filtration capacity: 150 gallons
- Holding capacity: 3.5 liters
- Filtration method: dense activated coconut carbon filter, proprietary organic filter
- Warranty: Lifetime warranty
Things to Like
- Removes many different kinds of contaminants – this filter is very effective at trapping contaminants. It filters out chlorine (98.4%), fluoride (97.88%), 99.6% of PFC (PFOA/PFOS), Trihalomethanes (TTHM), xylenes, trace pharmaceuticals, organic chemicals such VOCs, herbicides, and pesticides. It also clears out heavy metals like lead (99.94%), chromium 6 (99.2 %), and arsenic.
- Has a moderate filtration speed – water goes through the filter relatively fast. It takes about 10 minutes to get the pitcher filled with clean water after the filter is primed.
- Has a decent holding capacity – the pitcher is capable of holding 3.5 liters of water at once which is similar to around 10 cups of water. It’s not large but it’s a decent capacity that’s sufficient for a small family, plus the refill chamber is relatively large. You won’t have to refill it frequently to get the pitcher full of clean water – it only takes two refills.
- It’s easy to fill and use – you don’t have to take the lid off to fill the top chamber. The lid has a small opening with a cover that allows you to fill the chamber easily. The whole unit is made of clear plastic too, so you can see how much water is left in the upper and lower chambers.
- Features a digital counter – there’s a digital counter incorporated on the lid that monitors the amount of water processed to gauge the filter’s remaining capacity or service life. Thus you get to always know when the filter needs changing in advance.
- The overall build quality is good – the pitcher is of decent quality made using Tritan plastic that’s thick and seems sturdy enough to withstand regular usage for a long time. The pitcher itself is quite compact. It doesn’t take up much space on the counter or in the fridge.
What not to like?
- Not suitable for use on untreated water – this filter doesn’t remove microorganisms like viruses, bacteria, and cysts, so you can’t use it to clean water that’s biologically unsafe such as untreated well water.
- Filter doesn’t last long – the 150 gallons filtration capacity is supposed to last 3 to 4 months but several users reported that the filter stops working in less than 3 months. It clogs up quickly such that the filtration process slows down to almost a halt by the second month.
- The spout doesn’t offer a clean pour – the spout is small and its flip cover doesn’t often lift up when pouring hence obstructing the flow of the water causing it to pour out in different directions.
- The lid tends to pop off when pouring – the lid seems not securely fitted. It falls off sometimes when you tilt to pour causing water to spill all over the counter rather than into the glass.
- The handle is flimsy – the handle is not that sturdy and securely attached to the pitcher. It tends to break over time making it challenging to use and carry the pitcher.
- The digital counter is prone to failure – some users mentioned that the digital counter stops working properly when it gets wet hence making it difficult to determine the exact time to replace the filter.
If you want an effective water filter pitcher for use on heavily contaminated municipal water, then Epic Pure is an option you can consider. The filter may not last as long as specified but it does efficiently remove a wide range of contaminants, including fluoride.
2. PUR PPT111W
- WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM – Quickly and easily enjoy cleaner, filtered water in your fridge with the PUR 11-Cup Ultimate Filtration Water Pitcher. This water filter pitcher features an easy-fill lid and a CleanSensor Monitor to indicate filter status.
- PUR LEAD REDUCTION FILTER – PUR water filtration pitcher filters are WQA certified to reduce lead and other harmful contaminants that could be in your water.* Pitcher Filter PPF951K is certified to reduce 3X more contaminants than Brita filter OB03.**
- WHY WATER FILTRATION? Tap water may look clean, but can contain potentially harmful pollutants & contaminants from traveling through pipes. PUR Lead reducing pitcher water filters reduce contaminants and substances like mercury and copper***.
- Dimensions: 11.25 x 6.4 x 10.8 inches
- Weight: 2.25 pounds
- Filtration capacity: 40 gallons
- Holding capacity: 11 cups
- Filtration method: lead filtration media, activated carbon filter, ion exchange resin
- Warranty: 90-day warranty
Things to Like
- Very effective and efficient filtration process – the PUR PPT111W gets rid of a good number of contaminants in municipal water. It clears out chlorine (97.5%), mercury (96%), copper (98%), cadmium (98%), and class 1 particulates (99%). It’s particularly very effective at removing lead (99.3%) and cysts (99.98%). It also removes organic chemicals like pesticides and herbicides.
- Offers a fairly large holding capacity – the pitcher can hold up to 11 cups of clean water which is enough to meet the water needs of most small to medium-sized families.
- It’s easy to refill – there’s a convenient flip opening on the lid that allows you to fill the upper chamber without taking the entire lid off. The chamber also has a clear blue color to allow you to see how much water is left to avoid overfilling it.
- Has a filter life LED indicator – knowing when to change the filter is not a problem as there’s a filter life LED indicator placed on top of the lid that alerts you should the filter need replacement.
- Compact and easy to carry – the pitcher features a slim profile that takes up little space. It can fit well on countertops or in kitchen cabinets and refrigerators that have limited space. It’s equally light and has a sturdy handle that offers a comfortable grip that makes it easy to carry it around.
What not to like?
- The filter needs frequent replacement – the filter can process only up to 40 gallons of water after which it becomes ineffective. It can last for about 2 months with normal use and there are even several complaints that it clogs very fast. Thereby, you’ll be replacing it often especially if your water is highly contaminated.
- Water filters through slowly – you have to wait a bit longer to get the pitcher filled with filtered water when using the PUR PPT111W. It takes around 6 minutes per fill for water to filter through and you have to refill it at least 2 times. You have to wait about 20 minutes to fill the pitcher.
- Makes a mess while pouring the water – the spout cover doesn’t open completely when pouring. It partially obstructs the water flow hence causing water to go everywhere. Furthermore, it’s held by a flimsy hinge that doesn’t keep it in place. It can pop out and fall inside the top tank when you apply too much pressure on it
- The lid is not secure and sometimes leaks – some of the unfiltered water occasionally leaks out when tilting the pitcher to pour and ends up in the lower tank with the filtered water. A few users also reported that the lid doesn’t stay put. It sometimes falls off when pouring water.
- It’s not quite durable – the plastic material used to make the pitcher is delicate and prone to cracking over time to the point that you can’t use the pitcher anymore. The warranty is not useful either since it’s very short (only 90 days).
The PUR water filter offers great filtration performance. It’s an ideal option if you want a budget filter pitcher that can treat heavily contaminated municipal water, especially if it has high lead content. However, its durability is not guaranteed and you’ll have to incur the cost of replacing its filter more frequently.
3. AquaBliss 10-Cup Water Filter Pitcher
- LONGEST LASTING – DARE TO COMPARE: While most leading water purifier filters last a paltry one to two months before requiring replacement, our water pitcher filters out contaminants, chlorine, metals and sediments TWO TIMES LONGER – for a FULL 4 MONTHS! Making it the BEST VALUE large water filter pitcher for protecting your health.
- JUST CLEAN, CRISP, FRESH TASTING PURE DRINKING WATER, BPA-FREE: FILTER PITCHER REDUCES the FULL GAMMET of ODORS, chlorine, Mercury, Copper, Cadmium, Zinc, Sediment and other unhealthy impurities you’d rather avoid to support a healthier, happier life!
- FASTEST & EASIEST TO USE – SIMPLY fill your water purifier jug with unfiltered water and watch our rapid filtering technology sift out all of the dirt, grime and funny metallic smells from your water.
- Dimensions: 12.3 x 11.4 x 6.2 inches
- Weight: 1.39 pounds
- Filtration capacity: 4 months
- Holding capacity: 10 cups
- Filtration method: activated carbon, ion exchange resin
- Warranty: 1 year
Things to Like
- Relatively effective at filtering out contaminants – the AquaBliss is a simple water filter pitcher but even though it’s capable of removing numerous contaminants. It filters out all the chlorine taste and odor as well as heavy metals like mercury, copper, zinc, and cadmium. Sediments like debris and dirt are also trapped by the filter.
- The filter lasts as specified – the filter can last about four months with an average usage rate of 20 gallons per month. If you consume more than that, then you will likely replace it sooner. The good thing though is that it doesn’t clog quickly. It works effectively throughout its lifespan.
- Filters the water quickly – it takes around two minutes for the entire unfiltered water in the upper chamber to go through the filter. It’s a faster filtration speed than the rest considering that you need two refills to fill up the pitcher which means it will take about 6 minutes to get it full of filtered water.
- Offers a decent holding capacity – this model can hold slightly over half a gallon of filtered water, hence like the Epic Pure pitcher, it can suit a small family as you can get 10 cups of filtered water per fill.
- It’s simple to use – the lid has a large opening that allows for easy refilling of the top tank. Pouring the water is equally simple. The spout’s cover opens up easily and the spout itself is narrow. You get a clean and streamlined flow that allows you to even pour into a water bottle without spilling water all over.
- Includes a digital countdown – you won’t have to guess when to replace the filter because a digital countdown is mounted on the top part of the handle. You just enter the date when you first insert the filter, and then from there, it progressively displays the days remaining before filter replacement is needed.
- It’s easy to set up and maintain – assembling the unit is straightforward and it has a low profile. It fits well on the counter and in the fridge without being too bulky. The filter and tank also come out without much hassle making cleaning the whole unit simple.
What not to like?
- Removes only chlorine and certain heavy metals – you can only use this pitcher for improving the taste of water and removing certain heavy metals. It doesn’t remove lead, arsenic, iron, fluoride, microorganisms, and organic chemicals, so it’s not ideal for filtering heavily contaminated municipal water or untreated water.
- The lid is flimsy and unstable – the lid is not sturdy at all and seems not molded correctly. It doesn’t fit properly to the top of the pitcher causing it to fall off sometimes when pouring. You can’t pour water while the unit is still filtering either because the unfiltered water can flow down and mix with the filtered water.
- It’s not quite durable – the pitcher is made using a thin plastic, especially the lid and the handle. It can break easily if it’s knocked into something or accidentally dropped. The rubber gasket at the bottom that’s meant to keep it from sliding off the table also comes off easily and you can’t put it back on again.
This is another simple and affordable water filter pitcher that’s a good option if you want just to improve the taste of your water and have a limited budget. It’s not best with regards to durability, but if you are careful enough, then it can serve you for a while.
4. Hskyhan Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
- FEATURES: large capacity, 10-cup pitcher, total filter content 3.5L, and 2.0L filtration. We provide two extra high quality and easy-to-install filters, to generate ultimately hygienic and clean water. The timer measures the number of days left of the life expectancy of the filter, and tracks the replacement
- WATER FILTRATION FUNCTIONS: According to the source of water, 7-layer alkaline filtration makes water alkaline, with pH value increased by 0.5 to 2 or more. It is able to remove Fluoride, chlorine, lead, dirt, harmful metals and other water substances in the water, and also defeats peculiar odors, hence provide clean and healthy drinking water
- ECONOMIC AND ENVIRONMENT-PROTECTIV: our filter can purify 300 16-ounce plastic bottles of water. Pitchers save you an enormously amount otherwise to be used for bottled water, not only lowering your costs, but also reducing the waste on plastics and conserving the environment
- Removes chlorine, fluoride, and other contaminants
- It’s able to increase the pH value of the water
- Offers a fairly large holding capacity
- Features a filter life indicator on the handle
- Doesn’t remove organic chemicals and microorganisms
- The filtration process is slow
- The counter malfunctions if it gets wet
- The lid isn’t sturdy and comes off while pouring
- Reports of the pitcher leaking water from the bottom
About the Product
The Hskyhan water filter pitcher utilizes a filter that features seven filtration layers that effectively remove chlorine, fluoride, lead, sediments, and several harmful metals. However, the special thing about its filter is that it’s able to make water more alkaline. It increases the pH value of the water by about 0.5 to 2 or more.
The filter’s lifespan is roughly 60 gallons which can last about 2 months, so you’ll be replacing it often although it doesn’t clog up quickly, plus the unit also includes a spare filter.
There’s a digital counter on the handle that specifies the days left before you need to change the filter which simplifies the replacement process. The problem is that it’s susceptible to malfunctioning if water gets under it – it fails to display the numbers completely, or it just occasionally displays part of them.
The pitcher has a 3.5 liters capacity which is equal to 10 cups of water, so it’s large enough to suit a small family. It does filter the water slowly but you don’t have to refill it frequently because the top tank is also large (2 liters capacity) – it takes just one refill to get the pitcher full.
The pour spout is narrow and allows water to flow out easily when pouring. Like the other pitchers though, the lid isn’t sturdy and it doesn’t stay put. You have to hold it down when pouring the filtered water, otherwise, it can come off and splash water on the counter.
The rest of the unit isn’t solidly built either. The plastic blue handle cover tends to fall off and can’t snap back on. The handle itself is a bit flimsy and can break over time. There are also reports of the pitcher leaking water from the bottom without even having any visible cracks or being slammed or dropped.
In general, if you want a water filter pitcher that can remove chlorine, fluoride, and a few other contaminants, and at the same time make your water alkaline, then this is an option you can look into. It’s backed by an 18 months warranty plus 30 days full refund guarantee.
5. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- Premium design for health and sustainability. Filter made in USA, BPA-free, recyclable.
- Removes 20x more contaminants than leading competitor, including fluoride, lead, chromium 6, chloramines, mercury, and chlorine. The filter keeps healthy trace minerals like calcium and magnesium in your water, which other filters will strip out.
- Rigorously tested. NSF Standards 42 and 53 met for contaminant reduction. Tested in Flint, Michigan for lead and copper reduction.
- Very effective at removing a wide range of contaminants
- The filtration speed is fairly quick
- The handle is solid and comfortable to hold
- It’s sturdy and durable made using thick plastic material
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Not suited for filtering biologically unsafe water
- Filter life might be shorter than indicated
- Can hold only up to 8 cups of water at one time
- You can’t tell the level of water in the top tank
- Water doesn’t pour out well and the lid often comes off
About the Product
Activated carbon media and ion exchange resin are the two media incorporated in the filter that comes with this Aquagear water filter pitcher. The two media are capable of removing over 70 different contaminants including chlorine (99.9%), chloramine (99.9%), fluoride (90.6%), lead (99.9%), chromium 6 (99.4%), mercury (97.8%), arsenic (99.8%) and over 50 VOCs.
It’s a highly effective and efficient filtration process for a water filter pitcher. It does a pretty impressive job of improving the quality of the water – no foul smell or taste is left behind whatsoever.
The filtration speed is fairly quick too. The water takes around 4 minutes to go through the filter and into the pitcher and you just need to fill the top reservoir twice to have the pitcher filled.
The speed gets slower though with time, especially if the water is highly contaminated. Besides that, you can’t tell the level of water in the top reservoir as you are filling it unless you take the lid off. You can end up overfilling it and having the unfiltered water spill out to the bottom.
The filtration capacity of the filter is 150 gallons and it’s supposed to last at most 5 months. A few users mentioned though that it works effectively only up to 90 gallons after which it slows down significantly due to clogging hence requiring replacement before reaching its full capacity.
The holding capacity of the pitcher is also slightly lower than the rest as it’s able to hold only 8 cups of water at a time. However, the entire unit is sturdy and easy to hold. It can withstand several drops without breaking. The handle is sturdy too and comfortable to hold while filling and pouring.
The downside is that the spout cover doesn’t flip while pouring. It gets in the way of the water causing it to come out at different angles and not end up in the glass. The lid as well doesn’t securely lock in place. It sometimes falls off when pouring.
Overall, with regards to filtration performance, the Aquagear does an excellent job. It’s another water filter pitcher on the list that’s suited for filtering municipal water that’s heavily contaminated with both heavy metals and organic chemicals.
6. Brita Stream Water Filter Pitcher
- The large, Cascade water pitcher with filter holds 12 cups of water and filters with every pour so you don't have to wait for filtered water
- Get great-tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1,800 single-use plastic water bottles* a year
- This space efficient Brita pitcher fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves, features an easy-fill locking lid and is easy to pour. Height 10.5"; Width 6.73"; Length/Depth 10.25"; Weight 2 pounds
- Effective at removing chlorine taste and odor
- Offers the largest holding capacity
- Has an electronic filter-change reminder
- It’s made using a robust, durable plastic
- Can’t filter heavily contaminated or untreated water
- The filter requires frequent replacement
- The flow rate drops significantly as the pitcher empties
- The pitcher is heavy and tiring to use for a prolonged time
About the Product
The Brita stream water filter pitcher offers the largest holding capacity on the list. It can hold 12 cups of filtered water which makes it a suitable option if you drink a lot of water regularly.
The other advantage is that you don’t have to wait to get the filtered water. It utilizes Brita’s filter-as-your-pour technology where the water gets filtered as you pour it out into a glass rather than when you fill-up the pitcher. It eliminates the traditional reservoir and the waiting step associated with it since you just fill up the pitcher quickly and pour the water into a glass.
However, while it does take less time to get the filtered water, the flow rate gets continuously slower as the pitcher empties to the point that the water starts to trickle once the pitcher becomes half empty. You have to refill it before it’s empty to maintain a fast flow.
The weight of the pitcher is also heavy when full, so your arm gets tired easily especially if you are pouring the filtered water into a large container.
In terms of filtration performance, the unit uses an activated carbon filter which clears out all the chlorine taste and odor from the water. It also traps most of the sediments including dirt, sand, rust, and silt. Many users were generally pleased with the taste of the filtered water.
The lifespan of the filter is short though. Its maximum filtration capacity is 40 gallons hence you have to replace it approximately every 2 months. Brita has included an LED filter-change indicator on the lid that helps you know exactly when to change the filter.
Setting up the filter is quick and simple. The pitcher is sturdy and every component including the lid fits securely. The pitcher doesn’t leak and the lid doesn’t fall off when you tilt it.
In general, the Brita stream water filter pitcher is worth looking at if you just want to remove chlorine and sediment from your water in order to improve its taste.