PUR water filters: one of the most popular filtering products
Disclaimer: we may receive commissions from purchases made via our links at no cost to you
The FM-3700 model is one of the most popular filter systems from PUR. It has earned lots of positive ratings with many users being primarily impressed with its great overall filtration performance, fast flow rate and decent capacity. These and other several nice features we will highlight are the reasons why it’s our pick for the best faucet mount water filter.
PUR is amongst the top brands in the home water filtration industry and has been around for more than 40 years now. The company makes different kinds of water filtration products with the main ones being pitcher water filters and tap-mount/faucet filters.
Herein, we will be reviewing some of the popular models from both types of PUR water filters. We’ll look at their effectiveness, drawbacks and what users have to say about them so that you get to know what to expect when purchasing one.
1. PUR FM-3700 Advanced Faucet Water Filter
- FAUCET WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM – Enjoy cleaner, filtered water from your faucet with the PUR Faucet Mount Filter System. .It’s easy to attach and includes a MineralClear filter that filters water over natural minerals for a crisp, refreshing taste.
- REDUCES LEAD AND 70+ CONTAMINANTS – This PUR drinking water faucet filtration system is certified to reduce over 70 contaminants, including lead, mercury and certain pesticides. PUR Faucet Filtration systems reduce more contaminants than any other brand.*
- EASY ONE CLICK ATTACHMENT – The faucet mounted water filter is easy to attach, and no tools are required. Compatible with most faucets, but will not work with pull-out or hand-held faucets.
- Can remove more than 70 different contaminants
- Water tastes great due to the MineralClear filter
- Doesn’t get in the way when using the sink
- Fairly easy to install and filter has a relatively long lifespan
- Alerts you when the filter needs to be replaced
- Backed with a 2-year limited warranty
- Not suitable for use with well water
- The filter housing and the lever break easily
- Prone to leaking when not tightened well
- Not compatible with all faucets
- Customer service is usually unresponsive
The FM-3700 has a modern-looking design with a shiny chrome finish that’s quite attractive and can fit in well in any kitchen setting. The coating holds up well – it doesn’t wear off or chip over time. The unit also comes in two other finishes, gray (FM2500V) and stainless steel (PUR-0A1).
The size is slightly big (3.2 x 7.3 x 7.7 inches) but it doesn’t take up much space on a regular sink to get in the way when doing the dishes. Moreover, the vertical design lifts it straight up and away, so you get to easily access the rest of the sink.
The unit can also swivel 360° hence you can get it out of the way if you need a clear work area which is convenient for smaller sinks. It swivels around a center nut which remains fixed to the faucet – the connection doesn’t tighten or loosen when you swivel it like in other models that screw directly into the faucet.
However, the entire unit is made of plastic that seems fragile and not durable. There are several reports of the cover cracking on the side and water leaking out around the connection points. The plastic lever switch is equally very fragile – it snaps off easily if not handled carefully especially when turned down on the filtered water position.
The filter of the PUR FM-3700 is smaller than most water filter faucet systems but it does perform efficiently at filtering out major contaminants and several other harmful elements.
It’s a three-stage filter system consisting of activated carbon media and ion exchange which are NSF certified to reduce around 70 different contaminants including chlorine (96%), mercury (96%), pharmaceuticals (96%), microbial cysts and 92% of certain pesticides.
Its lead reduction efficiency is particularly high as it’s capable of removing more than 99% of lead content from the water.
The filter also features PUR’s MineralClear core that filters water over natural minerals to give it a crisp, refreshing taste. It’s a nice addition that appears to be effective because many users mentioned that the filtered water does taste better than plain tap water.
The FM-3700 has the capacity to filter up to 100 gallons of water before requiring replacement. That’s more than many other available faucet water filters and can last you about 2 to 3 months.
Another advantage is that the flow of the filtered water is faster than gravity-fed filters. The pressure of the water from the faucet speeds up the filtration process, so there’s no waiting around – you simply turn on the faucet and get the filtered water immediately.
Besides that, the unit has two spigots one for filtered water and another for regular water, and there’s a lever switch that allows you to easily move between them whenever you want.
Setup and Maintenance
While faucet water filters tend to be complicated to set up, the FM-3700 was quite simple and quick to install for many users – you just screw the adapter on the faucet, then put the filter in the housing and plug the unit into the adapter.
It’s compatible with most standard kitchen sink faucets that have a removable aerator. It won’t work with hand-held or pull-out faucets. PUR has also included 4 different adapters alongside the unit, so in case you have a unique faucet, at least one of them can fit it. Only one of the adapters is metal and can last long but the other three are plastic and they wear out quickly.
The maintenance required is just regular cleaning and changing the filter which is easy. There’s a quick-release button on the mount which easily detaches the filter part from the faucet allowing you to rinse out the adapter or replace the filter.
The other advantage with this PUR model is that it comes with a small LED indicator light positioned on the side which lets you know when the filter needs to be replaced. The downside is that it appears to stop working after a year or two and it’s not replaceable.
Should you buy the PUR FM-3700?
If you want a filter that can give you filtered water instantly or one that can get rid of all the lead in the water, and other common major contaminants, this may be a good option. It has a high lead reduction efficiency and a fast filtered water output. However, it may not last long and there are a couple of complaints that the customer service is mostly unresponsive.
2. PUR DS1800Z Water Filter Pitcher
- LARGE CAPACITY WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM – Enjoy cleaner, filtered water with the PUR 30-Cup Classic Water Dispenser. This water filter pitcher holds 1.125 gallons of water with a slim design that optimizes fridge space. Great for families!
- WHY WATER FILTRATION? Tap water may look clean, but can contain potentially harmful pollutants & contaminants from traveling through pipes. PUR water pitcher filters reduce these contaminants.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE – Genuine PUR pitcher filters are certified to reduce harmful contaminants from your water. Compatible water filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same water quality.
The DS1800Z is the biggest PUR water filter pitcher and it’s our best pick for families due to the fact that it has a large water storage capacity, requires less refilling and it’s easy to maintain. It’s slightly basic with regards to filtration performance but it does effectively remove most of the common contaminants and deliver tasty water which users were pleased with.
- Effective at removing chlorine and 21 other contaminants
- Large capacity water pitcher ideal for big families
- Doesn’t require frequent refilling
- Can fit in most sinks/refrigerators and it’s easy to carry
- Sturdy BPA -free plastic construction
- Simple to set up and comes with a 1-year limited warranty
- Doesn’t remove lead, chloramine and some heavy metals
- The filtration process is slow and the spigot is prone to leaking
- Filter tends to clog often and doesn’t last long
- No filter life indicator
With a blue fill-tray sandwiched between a white lid and clear pitcher, the design of this DS1800Z model is quite sleek and appealing to the eye.
It’s a large size unit (measures 15.8 x 5.6 x 10.3 inches) but PUR has made it such that it’s narrow in shape hence it can fit on the shelf of most refrigerators. It’s slim enough to even fit in most sinks and doesn’t take up too much space on the countertop.
It’s equally light in weight (5 pounds) when empty but a bit heavy when filled with water. However, it has a comfortable grip handle and the elongated design of the fill-tray helps distribute the weight evenly making it easy to carry it when it’s filled with water.
The whole unit is made of thick BPA-free plastic which many attested that it feels sturdy and holds up well for long with frequent usage. The tap is sturdy too, and both the pitcher and the filter are recyclable.
The DS1800Z utilizes PUR’s MAXION filter technology which is a blend of two filtration media, carbon and ion exchange. Its performance is nowhere near that of the FM-3700 faucet filter above, but it is still a reliable option for filtering tap water.
It’s NSF and WQA certified to remove 21 different contaminants including mercury (95%), pharmaceuticals (96%), copper, zinc and cadmium. It as well clears out chlorine (taste and odor) and certain industrial chemicals. Nearly all users reported that the water tastes better than their regular tap water and comes out crystal clear.
Lead, chloramine, fluoride and some heavy metals are not removed though. PUR offers a more advanced version of this model that’s able to reduce lead. They also have a separate lead-reduction filter which is compatible with this model.
You get a 1.125-gallon filtered water container with this model. It’s a large capacity that’s enough to hold around 18 8-ounce cups of water which is sufficient for medium to large-size families that have children or people who need a lot of filtered water all day long.
The downside is that the filtration process is really slow. It takes at least 20 to 30 minutes for all the water in the fill chamber to filter through into the collection container.
The good thing is that the fill chamber is large – you’ll only need to fill it twice to get the pitcher full of filtered water. Plus, the lid is thumb-activated to make refilling it simple.
Dispensing the filtered water is also a breeze as the pitcher comes with a spigot on the front and a handle that you flip down for the water to flow out. Moreover, the spigot is covered to prevent particulates and odors from getting into the water and pitcher.
The spigot handle is very sensitive though. It dispenses water easily if anything pushes against it especially when placed too close to the shelf in the fridge. There were reports too that the spigot starts leaking within a few months of use.
Setup and Maintenance
The DS1800Z is easy to set up. It’s just the filter that you’ve to install which only takes a quick twist. Cleaning the unit and changing the filter is simple too.
The lifespan of the filter is 1 to 2 months which is short and it seems not to even last that long as we found several complaints that it stops working after 2 or 3 weeks. Others also mentioned that it gets clogged constantly and it’s hard to know when to replace it since this model isn’t equipped with a filter life indicator.
Should you buy the PUR DS1800Z?
This is a fine option if you have a large or medium-size family and your main concern is getting rid of chlorine taste and other chemicals present in your tap water. It can give you acceptably clean and better-tasting drinking water and you won’t have to constantly refill it.
3. PUR PPT111W Water Filter Pitcher
- WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM – Quickly and easily enjoy cleaner, filtered water in your fridge with the PUR 11-Cup Ultimate Filtration Water Pitcher. This water filter pitcher features an easy-fill lid and a CleanSensor Monitor to indicate filter status.
- PUR LEAD REDUCTION FILTER – PUR water filtration pitcher filters are WQA certified to reduce lead and other harmful contaminants that could be in your water.* Pitcher Filter PPF951K is certified to reduce 3X more contaminants than Brita filter OB03.**
- WHY WATER FILTRATION? Tap water may look clean, but can contain potentially harmful pollutants & contaminants from traveling through pipes. PUR Lead reducing pitcher water filters reduce contaminants and substances like mercury and copper***.
The PUR PPT111W comes with a special lead-reduction filter which removes nearly all the lead in the water. It does remove a number of other contaminants and offers a decent capacity.
- Removes nearly all the lead from water
- Gets rid of many other different impurities
- Decent 11 cup capacity ideal for small families
- Lets you know when to replace the filter
- Slim profile that doesn’t take up much space
- A delicate plastic material that’s prone to cracking
- Filter needs frequent replacement
- Lid leaks and comes off when you tip the pitcher
- Short warranty period of 90 days
The PUR PPT111W is ideal for countertops, refrigerators or kitchen cabinets that have limited space. It has a slim profile (measures 11.25 x 6.4 x 10.8 inches) – it doesn’t take up much space. It’s equally light and features a sturdy handle with a comfortable grip hence it’s easy to carry.
In terms of aesthetics, it’s much similar to the DS1800Z model above. It will blend well with other appliances and any kitchen decor. Its quality is, however, not good. The plastic material is quite delicate and prone to cracking to the point that the pitcher can’t be used further.
The special thing about this PPT111W model is the lead filtration media that’s blended together with PUR’s basic filter using the MAXION technology. It’s an advanced pleated paper that reduces lead in the water by up to 99.4%, so it’s quite a suitable option for use in houses with old plumbing pipes that have high lead content.
It also removes BPA (Bisphenol A) and microbial cysts. The other media is generally PUR basic filter (activated carbon filter and ion exchange material) which has the same filtration performance as the DS1800Z model. It removes chlorine (97.5%), zinc (86%), mercury (95%), Class 1 particulate(99%), cadmium, copper and several more other contaminants.
The pitcher is able to hold a maximum of 11 cups of filtered water which is sufficient for small to average-size families or for those who don’t need much water daily. You have to wait a long time to get the filtered water though as it takes around 20 minutes for the water to filter through each time the top reservoir is filled.
The lid of the pitcher has a separate opening with a cap that you flip up with the thumb to fill the reservoir instead of removing the entire lid which is convenient. Pouring water, however, makes a mess. The cover over the pour spout partially obstructs the flow of the water when you tip the pitcher to pour causing the water to come out at all angles.
You have to hold it open, otherwise, you end up with water all over the counter. Furthermore, the cover is held to the lid by a flimsy hinge – it pops out and falls inside the pitcher if a little too much pressure is applied on it.
The other problem is the poor design of the lid. Some of the unfiltered water in the reservoir leaks out when you tip the unit to pour out the filtered water. Other customers as well reported that the lid tends to fall off when pouring water.
Setup and Maintenance
The installation is pretty simple but the filter requires frequent replacement since it doesn’t last long (lasts less than 2 months). There were complaints too that it clogs up very fast.
Fortunately, knowing when to change it won’t be a problem as it is with the DS1800Z model because this one features a filter life LED indicator positioned on top of the lid.
Should you buy the Pur PPT111W?
If your tap water has high lead contamination or you just need a water filter pitcher that’s capable of removing a wide range of contaminants, then you might consider it. It’s equally a nice option if you have limited fridge space or are single.