Hexclad Cookware Review: not worth the price
The Hexclad cookware has some impressive features and looks but they can't justify the price. Eventually nonstick coating will start degrading so we recommend avoiding spending this much on a pan with a limited lifetime.
- Tri-ply construction provides increased strength and good heat distribution
- Pan works on every stovetop, induction included.
- Very good nonstick coating durability is one of the most praised features of Hexclad. It's also scratch-resistant and metal utensil safe.
- Hexclad nonstick doesn't release food as easily and requires more maintenance compared to some competitor nonstick cookware.
- Very high price makes this pan not a good value buy.
We think these nonstick pans bring more value for the price:
Made In 12-inch Nonstick Fry Pan
This pan has the same benefits as the Hexclad but for a lower price and offers better nonstick performance:
- 5-ply construction provides excellent heat retention and distribution, improved strength.
- A durable nonstick coating that performs very well and doesn’t deteriorate.
- Limited lifetime warranty and 45 days return policy.
- Made In is direct to consumer brand so they can offer a much better price for quality items.
- We have tested this pan in our test kitchen and it has performed great.
- Attractive design due to its satin exterior finish.
- Customers’ favorite feature is the long durability of the nonstick coating.
- Excellent cooking results and effortless cleanup, according to most people.
- Has a cast stainless steel handle triple-riveted for added support and features a removable, silicone, soft-grip for versatility and maneuverability.
- Oven safe up to 400F.
- The pan is compatible with an induction stovetop.
- Its “T-fal thermo spot heat indicator” consists on a pattern in the center that turns to a solid red spot when the pan is perfectly preheated for cooking.
- Dishwasher safe.
- It’s made of aluminum with a stainless steel base and a silicone handle that can be riveted without a potholder, which allows a comfortable and secure grip.
- Users truly like the nonstick interior for being durable and scratch-resistant, safe for use with metal utensils.
HexClad is a company with a line of hybrid cookware that combines stainless steel with PFOA free non-stick. Their 12-inch frying pan is one of the few out there that can truly resist metal utensils in it and won’t get scratched. It also withstands up to 500F in the oven, and although other pans can handle hotter temperatures, this is fairly good because for most average foods you don’t need to overpass that temperature.
Another likable feature is induction compatibility, although you can use it in any type of cooktop. On the downside, it is a pricey pan, so it’s not affordable for everyone.
The pan is ideal for cooking for many people as it fits 2 large steaks at a time or 4 fillets of fish. It offers fairly good durability although some people have stated they expected a better non-stick performance, giving the price range. When it comes to cooking eggs, you do need to season the pan first otherwise they can stick. And if you use high heat, the non-stick won’t work at all. You should know there are other pans with these features that cost less. We will review some of them for you later on.
The Hexclad Hybrid pan is easy to clean by hand with any abrasive and you can use your metal spatulas and other utensils without fear of scratching the non-stick surface.
It is also dishwasher safe but people recommend washing it by hand for better results. Although the fact that the surface is truly non-scratch allows you to use more abrasive sponges like steel wool and stainless steel pads metal sponges for easier cleanup.
Now, in regards to the “tri-ply construction”, it consists is an aluminum layer between two layers of stainless steel that improves the strength of the pan and increases the heat distribution. It will guarantee longer durability and you won’t need to cook on high, so it also makes you save energy. The coating is based on Teflon, which is well-known for offering extremely good non-stick properties.
The pan has a patented technology created by laser etching many 6-sided hexagons. It surrounds the small nonstick areas (the hexagons) with stainless steel, creating a dual surface. This feature provides both a stainless steel and non-stick surface and the purpose of it is to create a very resistant pan in the long term.
But does it really work? Well, according to most people the life of the pan is satisfyingly long. However, you need to season it often and always keep a low temperature while cooking, so this takes away the extraordinary of the technology.
Regarding the lifetime warranty of it, you should know that it only covers problems related to the functionality of the pan. If it fails to perform, they will send you a new one but shipping costs will be on you. You will have to pay to ship the pans back for the service. And in case scenarios such as cosmetic-like stains or surface scratches, you cannot use the warranty.
Reviews and Durability
We evaluated reviews from users and most of them do like the quality of the product. They have been using it for over a year and the pan hasn’t peeled nor flaked.
The following are the main three things customers have mentioned:
- Users have stated that the pan does not work as nonstick at high heat, so you should always cook on low.
- You should preseason the pan for better cooking results, especially to cook eggs. Coconut, avocado or peanut oils are recommended.
- Too expensive for the benefits it offers.
The product is fairly good and the majority of people feel that the pan works as advertised. It cooks evenly, it’s easy to clean, food doesn’t stick, and the nonstick feature gets even better if you season the pan properly. Not to mention the look of it – it is a very elegant design. However, it is a pricey product and most negative reviews are about this. Some customers think it does not deliver any “magical” nonstick properties because you still have to follow the seasoning and cleaning instructions to extend the life of it. We cannot fully recommend it as there are non-stick pans options with many of Hexclad’s features for less, although this model might be a good option if you like the design of it and have the money to spare it.
Our score: 4.1 out of 5
- HexClad is PFOA-free, dishwasher safe, oven safe up to 500 degrees, scratch-resistant and features stay-cool handles.
- Works on all induction, gas, ceramic and electric cooktops.
- The only true hybrid (stainless steel + non-stick) cookware featuring a patented laser-etched hexagon design and tri-ply construction.
Scanpan vs Hexclad
Scanpan has crafted a unique non-stick technology “Stratanium+ coating”. Formulated to activate the microcavities that form in the base of the pan once heated producing a beautiful “crackling crispiness” to your cooking. Crafted from aluminum the impressive 5 layer-construction ensures rapid and even heating.
Hexclad technology falls behind in this regard. Their 3-ply construction features an aluminum center for even heat distribution. Therefore it weighs in around 2.5lbs lighter than the former it can be handled with ease due to fewer layers. A welcome feature is the stay-cool handles for an even smoother handling experience.
Maintenance with Hexclad pans is reportedly time-consuming. Users have found difficulty removing stubborn food debris when used with high heat. Suggesting it is more suited to low temperatures. To compare, it’s a simple matter of rinsing and wiping clean for the Scanpans HaptIQ series.
On average users have reported that Scanpan’s non-stick coating has lasted well due to its commercial-grade build and easy cleanup. Whereas, Hexclad’s non-stick abilities work well for the regular user but face complaints when it comes to using high heats where food is easily stuck to the pan.
Versatility is a key element to both pans. Featuring a steel layer allowing them to utilized with induction hobs. Other features to enjoy include: being dishwasher safe, metal utensil safe and oven safe up to 500 degrees.
We don’t doubt both rivals excel in their non-stick interior abilities. So we must conclude which product is most beneficial to the user. Those looking to invest in a product that’s trusted to perform in all areas are recommended to opt for a Scanpan.
They are masters of being meticulous with their quality control. Evident by their innovative technology and polished design they dominate the abilities of the Hexclad. Praised for prioritizing sustainability and recycling materials in their processes. Resulting in the reduction of waste tenfold Or, the Hexclad is a decent choice for those on a tighter budget.