Cookware for glass top stove: from budget to premium sets
Disclaimer: we may receive commissions from purchases made via our links at no cost to you
Glass top stoves have an elegant look that always adds aesthetic to the kitchen. However, it takes some effort and a different approach to take care of these stovetops.
One measure you can take is to use proper cookware. The ideal characteristics of cookware for glass stoves are fairly heavy base and smooth surface, to avoid damage on the glass.
Cookware that’s likely to scratch the glass top are those made up of cast iron, stoneware, porcelain enamel, and other glass cookware – these have rough surfaces.
The recommended cookware material is stainless steel. Aluminum or copper are also good.
Best cookware sets for glass top stove in different price points
1. Made in Cookware
- High quality 5-layer construction provides great heat distribution, strength and durability.
- 11-piece set comes with all essential items that will cover the vast majority of your cooking needs. Includes a nonstick and a carbon steel pan
- Generous 45-day free return or exchange policy
Made in: USA, France
Induction compatibility: Excellent
Price range: $$$
2. Cuisinart TPS-10
- One of the cheapest 3-ply cookware sets. This construction provides better heat distribution and durability.
- A popular product with great reviews.
- There are some complaints about pans warping. To avoid that use only a low-mid heat setting and wait for pans to cool down before washing them.
Made in: China
Induction compatibility: Excellent
Price range: $$
3. T-fal Ultimate Hard Anodized Nonstick
- Best value nonstick budget set for a glass top stove. Variety of items and OK quality.
- One of the most popular nonstick cookware sets with mostly great reviews.
- It won’t last a lifetime because the nonstick coating will eventually peel. We recommend increasing your budget to buy the smallest stainless steel cookware set listed above and a separate nonstick pan of your choice.
Made in: China
Warranty: Manufacturing defects
Induction compatibility: None
Price range: $
Glass top stove cookware reviews
1. All-Clad D5 Cookware Set, 7-Piece
- Set includes: 10-inch fry pan, 1.5-quart sauce pans with lid, 3-quart saute pan with lid, and 8-quart stockpot with lid
- 5-ply bonded construction with alternating layers of stainless steel and aluminum for warp-free durability and supremely even heating that eliminates hotspots
- For an added touch of refinement, it features a beautiful and easy to maintain brushed finish and fitted, stainless-steel lids
All-Clad is another high-end brand from the US. The company is very popular compared to Viking and it’s known for the great quality of their products and this D5 5-ply set is not different. It has received compliments from many users for its durability, heat distribution, and overall value for money.
The construction and design of this All-Clad are almost similar to the Viking cookware set. It consists of 5 bonded layers of stainless steel and aluminum (inner core).
This is a very solid construction that won’t warp and can last a long time just like the Viking pieces. We found users who have used the set for more than a year and they were still holding up well.
Users also said the pan and pots felt quite hefty but well balanced that they remain stable on the glass stove which is essential.
The handles for both the lids and the cookware are firmly riveted. They get warm though during cooking and possibly hot when on high heat for long periods.The lids for the pots are sturdy and sit low inside which is good for steaming but they are not see-through.
Most users who purchased the set complement its heat distribution ability. It heats slowly and evenly from the center to the edges. No hot spots – the pan cooks food uniformly and is well browned.
However, while a sizeable number of users agreed that the set’s nonstick property works fine, some seem to differ stating that food tends to stick later on and they had to use more oil than usual just to keep the food from sticking.
There were also contradicting views when it comes to cleanup. Some said stains and spots clean easily but for most, they stain really bad and are very hard to keep clean. Nonetheless, they seem fine for dishwashing as advertised based on several user comments we noted.
All in all, this All-Clad set is great, especially for its durability and cooking performance. The general consensus is that it’s worth every penny – If you don’t mind scrubbing, it’s an option you can consider.
- Quality cookware set that can last for a long time
- Heat distribution is uniform throughout
- Cooks well and the interior is non-reactive to food
- Ideal for all cooktops including induction
- You can use it in an oven up to 600F
- Quite hefty but well balanced
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Stains easily and its difficult to keep clean
- Nonstick property might not be that effective
- Handles get warm when cooking and hot on high heat
- Lids are solid but not see-through
2. Viking Professional 5-Ply Cookware Set, 7 Piece
- Set includes 10 inch fry pan, 2 quart saucepan with lid, 8 quart stockpot with lid and 3.4 quart sauté pan with lid
- Professional 5-Ply construction maximizes heat transfer quickly for even cooking or heating; Oven, broiler and grill safe up to 600°F/315°C and for use on all cooktops, including induction
- 18/10 stainless steel interior is non-reactive; Interior capacity markings for easy measuring (except fry pans)
Viking is amongst America’s top premium brands known for producing high-end cookware products. This 5-ply cookware set from the company makes it on the list for its quality and long lifespan. It’s a well-built set for the money.
The Viking cookware set consists of a 5-ply construction with three inner layers of aluminum squeezed between two stainless steel layers. This is a heavy-duty construction and it has earned positive reviews for its sturdiness with users agreeing that the set can last many years.
Both the pan and the pots are thick and heavy hence they are much more stable when cooking on glass top stove compared to lighter cookware.
The handles are large and securely riveted. They are comfortable to hold according to comments from users who also mentioned that they do stay cool most of the time during cooking on nearly all heat settings.
One user however reported that the handle of the fry pan is a little heavy such that the pan is unable to remain flat on the glass top stove.
Another area that this Viking set received positive reviews is the cooking performance. A majority of users mentioned that they retain heat well and cook food evenly. They also cook well on low heat.
The nonstick performance seems okay too as no one raised any issue about it. Furthermore, it’s 18/10 stainless steel which is nonreactive to acidic foods like tomatoes and vinegar, so it won’t leave behind any metal taste.
If you love to keep your pots and pans pristine like they have never been used before, this Viking set will certainly disappoint you. From what users say, the gleaming stainless steel finish loses its sheen upon first use.
It also does cloud at the bottom of the pots which doesn’t go away no matter the amount of scrubbing you do. Aside from that, the pots are supposed to have interior capacity markings but they are either not very visible or not there at all as mentioned by several users.
Overall, if you are after a well built and long-lasting cookware set, we would recommend this Viking Professional 5-ply set.
- Sturdy and highly durable 5-ply construction
- Smooth finish and fairly heavy ideal for glass top stoves
- Riveted handles stay cool and have a comfortable grip
- Good cooking performance – cooks quickly and evenly
- Suitable for all other cooktops including induction
- Safe for use in an oven up to 600oF
- You get a limited lifetime warranty
- The fry pan doesn’t remain flat on glass top stove
- Stainless steel lids that don’t offer a view of the food
- The gleaming stainless steel finish loses its sheen upon first use
- No interior capacity markings as claimed on the specifications
3. Cuisinart TPS-10 Cookware Set, 10 Piece
- SET INCLUDES: 1.5 Quart saucepan with glass cover, 2.5 Quart saucepan with glass cover, 3 Quart sauté pan with glass cover and helper handle, 6 Quart stockpot with glass cover, 8" Skillet, 10" Skillet
- COOKING AND CLEANING: Experience professional performance with Tri-Ply stainless steel construction that is always induction ready. The Heat Surround technology ensures that heat is spread evenly throughout the bottom and sides of each cookware piece, eliminating hot spots. Dishwasher safe, making cleanup effortless
- DURABLE & SLEEK DESIGN: Each piece designed with durability and a polished stainless steel exterior that will have you cooking your absolute best. The rims of the cookware are tapered for drip-free pouring every time
From user reviews, this Cuisinart cookware set provides decent performance in durability and performance. It’s Amazon’s choice for best stainless steel cookware category and while it’s still subpar compared to All-Clad, it does come at a more affordable price.
Similar tri-ply construction to ZWILLING has been used in this Cuisinart set. It features a solid aluminum core that’s squeezed between stainless steel layers.
Users were pleased with the quality and durability with some noting that their pieces were still holding up well even after 14 months of daily use.
However, a sizeable number of reviews mentioned that they are susceptible to warping especially from temperature shock – when put directly in cold water immediately after cooking. With care though, this is something that can be avoided.
The handles do stay cool and the bottom part isn’t rounded hence feel a little more stable in the hand but some users pointed out that they don’t offer enough grip.
Based on most of the reviews we went through, the Cuisinart TPS-10 set seems to heat quickly and very evenly. The food comes out properly cooked.
On the downside, the pans are not really nonstick. A couple of reviewers were quite upset with food sticking to the surface after just a few days of use. Others mentioned that letting the pans get hot first then adding a little oil or butter can help minimize or prevent sticking.
The description said the interior surfaces are 18/10 stainless steel, but they are not. Cuisinart even did confirm they were not. 18/10 steel is currently the best standard for the interior for its non-reactive property to food, so these are likely to give off a metallic taste.
Cleaning the set is quick and easy provided the manufacturer’s instructions are followed – staining is easily remedied. However, they have a mirror-like finish that will scratch and get swirls or light-colored “whitish” marks.
Generally, this Cuisinart TPS-10 cookware set is a worthy option to consider for glass top stove use due to its good cooking performance, decent durability, and affordability.
- Fairly durable 3-ply construction
- Heats quickly and distributes the heat evenly
- Food cooks properly with no hot spots
- Suitable for glass top stove as well as induction cooktops
- Oven safe up to 500F
- Cleanup is quick and easy
- Has a lifetime warranty
- Nonstick property isn’t reliable
- Interior surface is not 18/10 stainless steel as claimed
- Handles don’t offer enough grip
- Lids are solid stainless steel – not see through
- The mirror-like finish gets swirls and marks easily
4. ZWILLING SPIRIT 3-ply Cookware Set, 10 Piece
- Set includes 8" fry pan, 10" fry pan, 1-qt saucepan w/lid, 2-qt saucepan w/lid, 3-qt saute pan w/lid, and 6-qt dutch oven w/lid. 3-ply construction from rim to rim – 3mm, Thick aluminum core conducts heat quickly and evenly.
- Large, stay-cool loop handles designed for easy maneuvering and control while wearing oven mitts.
- Flared rim for clean and dripless pouring. Tempered glass lid for easy monitoring of cooking.
The ZWILLING SPIRIT 3-ply cookware set is a unique stainless steel cookware set on this list in that it features a nonstick ceramic coating. The quality is also pretty decent.
The set has a 3-ply construction made up of solid aluminum core and stainless steel layers. Users mentioned that the set is sturdy and the overall construction seems very sound. It’s not as tough as the 5-ply construction of the Viking and All-Clad but it can hold up well for several years.
The design is smooth and simple suitable for glass top stove but the base is magnetic steel so it’s not suited for induction cooktop.
The handles are large and offer easy control and maneuvering. However, they require mittens to use since they can get quite hot when cooking.
The ZWILLING SPIRIT pans and pots are heavy and heat evenly delivering well-prepared food with no hot spots. That’s what a large percentage of users said and this is due to the triple-ply construction which dissipates heat uniformly. Its response to heat changes is very quick too.
For the nonstick performance, it’s a ceramic cooking surface but there were mixed reactions regarding its effectiveness with a lot of users stating that food starts to stick after a short while. You will probably have to use a little oil or nonstick spray so your food won’t stick.
The ceramic coating also seems not to hold up for long. Users say it begins to come off after a few months (around 6 months) and from there it gets worse and worse.
Unlike the Viking and All-Clad sets, this one is easy to clean. Stains and spots wipe off easily using just a soft brush and the cookware doesn’t discolor quickly with use.
We would recommend this for anyone looking for mid-range cookware set for a glass top stove. It has several shortcomings but overall, it’s a decent option.
- A good quality set with a solid 3-ply construction
- Ideal for use on glass top stove, but not induction cooktop
- Uniform heat distribution providing evenly cooked food
- So easy to clean and doesn’t discolor quickly with use
- Tempered glass lids offer easy monitoring of food
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- The nonstick property may be disappointing
- The ceramic coating does not last for long
- Handles don’t stay cool and may require the use of mittens
5. Calphalon Classic Cookware Set , 10-Piece
- Impact-bonded aluminum base distributes heat evenly, for exceptional browning, searing, and sauteing
- Stainless steel long handles stay cool on the stovetop
- Convenient measuring marks, pour spouts, and straining covers allow you to cook with efficiency
Calphalon is an equally popular brand and their Classic Pots and Pans 10-piece set boasts of a high Amazon rating. This is another nice set of stainless steel cookware for glass top stoves that fall under the affordable category.
The Calphalon Classic stainless steel set is made from medium-gauge aluminum with brushed stainless steel exterior and impact-bonded aluminum base.
Each piece is sturdy with a relatively thick bottom and has a heavy feel to it, not as heavy as some though. They are just moderately heavy but well balanced for glass top stoves.
Several users experienced warping with the pans although it was due to the use of very high heat. If maintained and used with care, they can last for at least a few years.
The handles are comfortable to hold and securely riveted like All-Clad and Viking. They do stay cool for most cooking on low heat, however, if they stay for a long time on the heat, they get hot. The same applies to the lids’ handles.
The interior surface of this Calphalon set is stainless steel and not non-stick. You have to preheat it with oil for around 5 minutes as several users pointed out, otherwise everything will stick to the surface. The heat should also be low to medium.
Same to the ZWILLING, the steel used for the interior is not 18/10 stainless steel, so it may be reactive to acidic substances like vinegar.
The pans do heat up faster though and are efficient at retaining heat due to the thick impact-bonded aluminum base. They distribute heat evenly hence food cooks well.
Cleanup is fine, there were no difficulties experienced from the many customer reviews we went through. Users said a brief soak helps wipe off the mess if food sticks. The only issue is that they lose their shiny finish quickly with use.
Compared to similar types of cookware sets we’ve seen, this Calphalon cookware set is somewhat well made plus it comes at a very reasonable price. It’s an option you can check out if you don’t want a more expensive set.
- Sturdy and well-balanced pots and pans
- Efficient heat retention and food cooks evenly
- Works on all cooktops including induction
- Oven safe up to 400oF
- Handles are securely riveted and ergonomic
- Have fill line for easy measuring in cooking
- Cleanup is not too challenging like the other sets
- Relatively durable and comes with a lifetime warranty
- Cooking surface is not nonstick
- Might warp on very high heat cooking
- Handles might get hot when cooking
6. T-fal E765SC Cookware Set, 12 Piece
- Set includes: 8 inches fry pan, 10 inches fry pan, 1 quart; Saucepan with lid, 2 quart saucepan with lid, 3 quart saucepan with lid, 5 quart; Dutch oven with lid, solid spoon and slotted spatula; Heat source, Gas, Electric, Ceramic, Halogen
- Built to perform: A true workhorse in the kitchen, hard anodized aluminum retains perfect heat and has a much stronger protective layer than the original metal, making it corrosion and scratch resistant, plus it won’t react to acidic foods
- Heat mastery system: T fal's heat mastery system is a 3 ingredient recipe for perfectly delicious cooking results every time; Superior and longer lasting non stick coating, an anti warping, even heat base and patented thermo spot technology
T-fal is an industry leader with regard to non-stick technology. There are a lot of positive reviews about this T-fal UE7655C Ultimate Aluminum cookware set mostly for its nonstick feature and affordability. These are some of the reasons that earned it a spot on the list.
These T-fal Ultimate pots and pans are made using hard-anodized aluminum which is nearly as strong as cast iron. A few users mentioned that their pans started giving out after 2 years of daily use.
However, a large percentage didn’t have such experience, so they may not last longer compared to the Viking or All-Clad but they are fairly durable for the price. The bottom is relatively heavy and slick which is ideal for glass top stoves.
The pots and pans feature riveted stainless steel handles with silicone fitting. They are easy to hold and provide sufficient grip. Despite being insulated, many users complained that they get too hot to hold without protection, especially in the oven.
The rubber silicone fitting can also melt off the handle if exposed to direct heat. Other users noted that the pans’ rivets start loosening after a short while and can’t be tightened hence making it challenging to use and handle the pans.
What’s enticing in this T-fal set is that the nonstick property works as expected based according to the general consensus. Food slides smoothly along the surface when cooking on low to medium heat.
Each cookware heat evenly and does retain the heat pretty well almost like cast iron. The response time is equally fast when the heat is adjusted. The only downside here is that same as all other non-stick coatings, this too will begin to degrade after about a year or two.
Besides that, the thermo spot indicators included in each of the cookware are not that accurate as pointed out by some users. They only work when it’s high heat.
Cleaning the set did present any challenge for most but a couple of users said that the finishing gets scratches and markings too easily which don’t wipe off even after cleaning.
Despite these few notable drawbacks, the T-fal UE7655C Ultimate is a great set overall. It’s one of the sets on this list that offers a slightly reliable nonstick capability without breaking the bank.
- Relatively strong and durable construction
- Nonstick property works fine
- Heats evenly and does retain the heat pretty well
- Good for all cooktops except induction
- Vented tempered glass lids provide visibility
- Oven safe up to 400oF (lids up to 350oF)
- Easy-to-hold handles that provide sufficient grip
- Cleaning is easy and has a lifetime warranty
- Handles get too hot to hold without protection
- Nonstick property might not last more than 2 years
- The included thermo spot indicators are not that accurate
- The finishing gets scratches and markings too easily
7. Farberware Cookware Set, 17 Piece
- DURABLE LONG-LASTING COOKWARE BY FARBERWARE: Sturdy aluminum pots and pans heat quickly and evenly for quality results
- EASY TO CLEAN NONSTICK COOKWARE SET: Top-quality Smart Glide nonstick interiors release foods easily for fast cleanup
- LOCK IN HEAT AND FLAVOR: Shatter-resistant glass lids on the covered pots and pans lock in heat and flavor
Closing our list is yet another highly affordable cookware set. This Farberware 17 piece set made on the lost for its aluminum and nonstick features plus good ratings on Amazon. It’s a low-cost option but very functional and seems to perform better than expected.
Constructed from heavy-duty aluminum, the Farberware cookware set is adequately durable for the price. A lot of users didn’t have any issue with the quality of the set which means they can hold up well for a few years although not as long as the stainless steel sets.
Handles are double riveted on the pots and pans. They stay cool and offer a good grip, however, there were several complaints from users that the handles of some of the pans start to get loose after a few months of use.
There were no such issues reported for the lids’ handles though. They are securely connected and the lids are sturdy and made from glass allowing you to have a glimpse of your food as it cooks.
The cooking performance of the set was fine for a majority of the users. The interior is truly nonstick and works as intended. For most foods, you won’t need to use oil or butter.
We also noted that both pans and pots heat up quickly and the heavy-duty aluminum construction helps distribute heat uniformly thereby hot spots are less likely to occur.
One caveat is that the nonstick coating is not durable. It’s easily scratchable and starts to deteriorate within months of use. Several users said that it can’t last more than a year. Moreover, we found a complaint that it gives off some sort of metal-like smell sometimes.
The set does clean up well though but as pointed out, the nonstick surface is prone to scratching very easily. What we like, nonetheless, is that this set offers more pieces than the rest on the list including a pancake pan which is something that lacks in many sets.
To sum it all, most users were pleased with the performance of this Farberware set and the extra pieces you get for the price. It’s a decent set of cookware that’s ideal for basic everyday cooking and the aqua finishing is a nice touch.
- Good quality set that’s relatively durable
- Nonstick surface works as intended
- Suitable for glass top stoves
- Oven safe up to 350F (pans safe up to 450F)
- Handles stay cool and provide a firm grip
- Sturdy glass lids for easy monitoring of food
- Cleanup is easy and set comes with a lifetime warranty
- Nonstick surface might not last more than a year
- handles of some of the pans tend to get loose
- Not suitable for use on induction cooktops